•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

hdrmultiscaltransfor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

so I'm having a weird problem and I'll try to explain best I can

I'm right after my initial stretch after pre processing and combining lrgb

and I'm performing a hdrmt

I extract the lum from my non linear image to use as a mask

i then make 2 previews of 2 galaxies in my shot

I have the wallets set to 6 and iteration at 1
with deringimg on the rest is default

I apply the process to the preview and it does a beautiful job

the other preview perfect so I like the settings

i go to main view and hit apply and it takes 15 min and does not produce the same result

can any one tell me what's happening. I know I have to be doing something wrong.

but 3 hours later with or without mask,with masks inverted both ways I always get a sub par process on the entire image while previews are exactly how I want them

it's either the image size after the drizzle preventing a full process ( whi h I dont know how to reduce yet ) or something else I'm doing

please help I'm so close to my best image I've done :(

#2 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

I went to local hist equal. and pulled off almost the same thing so I guess it's ok. but still curious why it would do that. should it not be exactly the same

#3 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:18 AM

I rarely use HDRMT these days. I am mostly using LHE or UnsharpMask. Regardless though, a lot depends on the mask that you are creating.

For starters, I would say, don't use a mask. HDRMT has two checkboxes - "To Lightness" and "Lightness Mask". Check them both and see what you get. Additionally, I am not sure why you are inverting the mask - inverting the mask would mean that you are applying HDRMT to the background and you don't want to be doing that.

Next, if you are still getting the same result, then try the following to create a mask and see if that helps -

1) Create a star mask - ensure you get the biggest stars in the mask (you will have to play around with the settings a bit) 

2) Clone the LRGB image that you have

3) Invert the cloned image

4) Go to PixelMath and under "Expressions" in RGB/K value do the following operation: inverted clone+StarMask. Under "Destination" select "Create New Image" and run the process. You will have a new image. What this does is, removes most of the stars that you have in the new image

5) The new image that you will get in step 4 will be "inverted". Re-invert that image. What you will now see is just the brighter areas of the image. You can further restrict the brighter areas by playing with the histogram of the new image. To do so, slide the left most slider in HistogramTransformation towards the center of the curve - that will start to restrict the brighter portions of the image and give you only those areas where you should really be applying HDRMT.

6) Once you are satisfied with the mask that you've created, apply that mask on to the main image and run HDRMT. I would also run HDRMT using layers = 7 or 8. Keep everything else default (including any check boxes unchecked). 

See what you get. 

CS! 

• elmiko and BenKolt like this

#4 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:10 AM

thank you I shall try that

just weird the preview had the mask as well figured it would be the same
hence preview Haha

heres what I ended up with not as good as hdr did it but I got close enough

thank you for the reply men this program is crazy

https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk
  • elmiko and bmhjr like this

#5 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

I rarely use HDRMT these days. I am mostly using LHE or UnsharpMask. Regardless though, a lot depends on the mask that you are creating.

For starters, I would say, don't use a mask. HDRMT has two checkboxes - "To Lightness" and "Lightness Mask". Check them both and see what you get. Additionally, I am not sure why you are inverting the mask - inverting the mask would mean that you are applying HDRMT to the background and you don't want to be doing that.

Next, if you are still getting the same result, then try the following to create a mask and see if that helps -

1) Create a star mask - ensure you get the biggest stars in the mask (you will have to play around with the settings a bit) 

2) Clone the LRGB image that you have

3) Invert the cloned image

4) Go to PixelMath and under "Expressions" in RGB/K value do the following operation: inverted clone+StarMask. Under "Destination" select "Create New Image" and run the process. You will have a new image. What this does is, removes most of the stars that you have in the new image

5) The new image that you will get in step 4 will be "inverted". Re-invert that image. What you will now see is just the brighter areas of the image. You can further restrict the brighter areas by playing with the histogram of the new image. To do so, slide the left most slider in HistogramTransformation towards the center of the curve - that will start to restrict the brighter portions of the image and give you only those areas where you should really be applying HDRMT.

6) Once you are satisfied with the mask that you've created, apply that mask on to the main image and run HDRMT. I would also run HDRMT using layers = 7 or 8. Keep everything else default (including any check boxes unchecked). 

See what you get. 

CS! 

Thanks for sharing, that Dhaval!  I've been trying to make such a mask and my method was way too complicated and prone to error.  This is much more straightforward.

I often use HDRMT, but I usually end up blending it with the non-transformed image in order to "soften" its effects.

Ben

• dhaval likes this

#6 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

I only inverted to make sure that wasnt what it was .

just saying I did both in case some one asked if it was inverted

that sounds like a good way to make a mask now that I have time to read through it

I hope that's what it was but would it not make the preview have the same result ?

the preview of the image should have the masked applied to it as well right ?

and even when no mask I tried that as well the result was different between each preview and the entire image even with no mask in place

strange stuff

#7 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:48 PM

I only inverted to make sure that wasnt what it was .

just saying I did both in case some one asked if it was inverted

that sounds like a good way to make a mask now that I have time to read through it

I hope that's what it was but would it not make the preview have the same result ?

the preview of the image should have the masked applied to it as well right ?

and even when no mask I tried that as well the result was different between each preview and the entire image even with no mask in place

strange stuff

I mean, honestly, it should have worked with what you're describing. Not sure why it did not for you. Maybe, if you can share your non-linear file, I can try and process it on my end and see what's happening. You were just doing a simple lum mask, and it really is what the process will also do if you check those boxes. The only thing with a lum mask is that it will do the stars as well. The mask that I create ensures that the stars are protected and don't have de-ringing artifact on them because of HDRMT. 

CS!

#8 Wwilmoth69

Wwilmoth69

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:38 AM

yeah I like your mask better and will definitely be using that in the future

I'll upload the linear and non so you can start where I did

I wonder if doing it in non linear instead of before I stretched had a effect on it but again both images should have finished the same ( preview and main )

I'll get them loaded this weekend thank you so much

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics