•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guide cam recommendations for QHY OAG

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bnickeson

bnickeson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

Are there any guide cams better suited to the QHY OAG than others?  This is for use with an 8" EdgeHD and reducer.  The Lodestar X2 and ASI174 are often recommended, but in most of the threads I've read on them they're paired with the Celestron OAG which has a larger prism than the QHY (only 8mm).  The 174 is a bit cheaper but not by much.  Are there any other cams I should be looking at?

#2 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

I have two of the QHY mediums OAG and I have an ASI290MM-mini for one and an ASI174MM-mini for the other. I have had them now for 4 months, but the weather is so bad I have not even been able to try them out. But thats what I picked for the cameras. I used to have lodestar X2 a long time ago, but sold it. I like the CMOS cameras better. I have used the ASI290MM-mini for a long time with my guidescope and I like it.

Edited by cfosterstars, 19 March 2019 - 08:17 PM.

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

I've been using a ZWO174 USB2 mini on a long telescope and a ZWO290 USB2 mini on a shorter telescope. They've both been in place for about 6 months and they work really well. I have a Lodestar X2 and I'm not a fan. It likes to create hot pixels at random every month or so wasting my time getting guiding to work properly. Unfortunately the one I have is 800 miles from here and not easy to change out.

Rgrds-Ross

#4 cccha

cccha

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:04 PM

Hello, I suggest you can browse the QHY5II or QHY5III series, they are all 1.25-inch cylindrical design, suitable for QHYOAG guide star.

#5 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:21 AM

I have been using a QHY5III174 1.25" version for a long time, since they first came out.  

I wrote up a comparison with lodestar here:

https://www.cloudyni...ed-to-lodestar/

The 174 has been great with my EdgeHD11 and Hutech OAG5.  If your prism is large enough and you are close to it, you will get full light from the guidestar - and the entire sensor will be illuminated.

If your prism is smaller or you are farther from it, you may have much of the sensor vignetted - but you would still be making the best use of the available field with the sensor.  It (the sensor) would just be bigger than needed.

Frank

#6 bnickeson

bnickeson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

Thanks everyone, I went with the ASI174 mini.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics