•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ5 motor driven+ 6" f5 newt vs Star adventurer+ evostar 72ed

astrophotography equipment imaging accessories
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 astroadi

astroadi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:48 AM

Hello everyone

I am looking for my first proper astrophotography equipment.
I have two options to choose from:

1. EQ5 mount with dual axis motor drive and 6" f5 imaging Newtonian
(Probably mod the mount and add st4 guiding port)

2. Skywatcher star adventurer and evostar 72ed apo

I can't decide what to choose, as both have many pros and cons.
I know it's very important to get a good mount, but the problem with me is I live in India and astrophotography equipment here is not cheap. We have to pay shipping and 40% customs, so the price becomes almost double.

Can anyone please help me choose between these two setups and point towards both pros and cons? Portability here is not problem, I will be imaging from my backyard only.
I will be shooting with modded Canon 600d. I will probably get a guidecam too.

Thank you
Astroadi

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

I don't know much about the Skywatcher but you shouldn't need to modify the EQ5 to add a guide port. Assuming that the EQ5 has stepper motors, you can drive it from your computer and, using PHD2, use "pulse guide" to feed guide corrections to the mount through the control cable.

Learning imaging will be a bit easier starting out with a refractor. Have you considered getting the Newt combination and adding a separate 80mm refractor to the mix. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, imaging, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics