•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would better telescopes fight light pollution?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:26 AM

We need more astronomy enthusiasts. They need enough aperture to see DSO, and need to easily be able to transport it. Otherwise they disappear from the astro group. We need to build our numbers so more voices are on our side. We don't need a majority. We just need a loud enough voice to be heard by politicians. I suspect better telescopes will grow our numbers, if the scopes are good enough and affordable.

I plan to eventually sell tent observatories that go up fast.

Edited by stargazer193857, 20 March 2019 - 03:27 AM.

• Araguaia likes this

#2 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:36 AM

That is the best strategy to fight light pollution I have ever heard of!  In this capitalist world, the only thing that will get action is if we can tell politicians that "it is a x-billion-dollar-a-year industry that generates Y jobs in their district, and it is threatened by energy-wasting and planet-warming excess lights."

Part of this effort is the US National Park Service's "Half the Park is After Dark" campaign.  Down here we use our scope for outreach in Bortle 1 Cantão Park and surrounding reserves, and always emphasize that if it wasn't for the dark site the protected areas provides, they wouldn't be able to see what they are seeing.

• Earthbound1 likes this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

Amateur Astronomy will never be a x-Billion dollar industry.   One can buy an excellent telescope for $1000.  

This has always been a small hobby and will always be a small hobby.   Few people have the passion to spend their nights out under the dark skies when it's cold and windy or when it's hot and muggy with mosquitoes everywhere.  Most people have enough common sense to stay inside and sleep... Not everyone but the vast majority. 

Jon

• csa/montana, mountain monk, barbarosa and 5 others like this

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

I plan to eventually sell tent observatories that go up fast.

Already available.  Observatory tent

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics