•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FITS files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:43 AM

So finally got my new camera setup to work last night. Was doing 8 second shots of M57 and doing live stacking in Sharpcap. I saved files while running the live stacker then when I went to check them out later it says they are FITS files and I can't open them. I found a site through NASA that has info on FITS files and sites to download viewers. Is this how I'm gonna have to open these files?

#2 Frank Otsuka

Frank Otsuka

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:16 AM

HI,

For viewing, IrfanView 64bit ver.4.44 will open fit files. It is freeware. However, it looks like you need a suite of astrophotography software for post processing. FITS is rare in the computer graphics world, but very common in astro work.

#3 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

You can also save files as jpeg, png or tif.  The selection box is in the camera control panel.  You can read about the settings in the user manual.  

I believe there is a photoshop plug-in to deal with FITS file.  Or, you can pick up a package made specifically for astrophotography, but they are not freeware.

john

Edited by nic35, 20 March 2019 - 07:32 AM.

• Mark326 likes this

#4 neaptide

neaptide

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

Deepsky Stacker will allow you to see your fits files. It's free and a good program to stack your files for post processing.

Edited by neaptide, 20 March 2019 - 07:32 AM.

• Mark326 likes this

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:53 AM

Fitswork is the free image processing program you'll want to try .....

https://www.fitswork...re/softw_en.php

It's designed to work with astronomical FITS images.

Edited by *skyguy*, 20 March 2019 - 07:55 AM.

• Jeff Lee, Rickster, OleCuss and 2 others like this

#6 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

You can also save files as jpeg, png or tif.  The selection box is in the camera control panel.  You can read about the settings in the user manual.  

john

Thanks! I would presume jpeg is the easiest?

#7 diceless

diceless

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

The advantage of Fits is they can contain a lot more information than a Jpeg or png.  I personally have sharpcap setup to do 'saved as viewed' as a png and regular saves as Fits.  Reason being, if I had a really good obversering I can go back to the next day and stretch/adjust the fits file for a better image to save where saved as viewed will use sharpcap's stretch.  You will also find the regular saves will look very washed out and it will need to be stretched in an image editing program and with the extra information the fits file contain you can stretch it way more than a jpeg.  As for opening/editing Fits files, I use Gimp which is an open source photoshop-ish program.  And yes, there are a couple of Photoshop Fits plugins.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics