•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO electronic auto focuser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mark326

Mark326

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:37 AM

https://astronomy-im...product/zwo-eaf

Saw this morning ZWO is working on a AutoFocuser. Timely as im in the market for one of these  to help improve the consistency of my imaging. 

The $249 advanced model includes a temp sensor, stepper motor, usb 2,ascom compatiable.  Im always cautious being an early adopter of new products so looking forward to seeing some reviews.

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

Saw it on Facebook this morning. Interesting. Looks high quality. Mounting for different scopes will be challenging. 

Chris

#3 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

This is great news - the more competition in the market for these the better, since as things stand I think they are rather overpriced. I'll certainly consider one of these next time I need another motor focuser.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

This is great news - the more competition in the market for these the better, since as things stand I think they are rather overpriced. I'll certainly consider one of these next time I need another motor focuser.

I agree.  This looks very promising.  The closest currently in price is the Pegasus at $310 (including temp probe).

#5 dghent

dghent

Mariner 2

• Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:49 AM

Great news. But I feel that the motorized focuser category is starting to feel a little saturated. What I'd really like to see are more novel motorized rotator products and focuser designs which incorporate motorized rotators. Granted, a little bit of a harder problem to solve than a box that turns an existing knob.

• jpbutler likes this

#6 dghent

dghent

Mariner 2

• Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

Also, it seem strange to me that one needs to buy the Advanced version with the hand controller in order to get the temperature probe. Normally those who would be interested in the temperature probe (astrophotographers who want temperature compensation) would not want or need a hand controller.

• davidparks likes this

#7 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:50 PM

A Pnpfocus arduino based system works great at a fraction of the cost. With that said competition is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:11 AM

A Pnpfocus arduino based system works great at a fraction of the cost. With that said competition is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the first time I'd heard of PnPfocus. Looks cool - just for future reference, do you know much about specific motor models that have good torque etc and are as good as the commercial motor focusers? Also any good sources for mounting hardware etc?

#9 Tom K

Tom K

Ranger 4

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

That's the first time I'd heard of PnPfocus. Looks cool - just for future reference, do you know much about specific motor models that have good torque etc and are as good as the commercial motor focusers? Also any good sources for mounting hardware etc?

There are a few described in the PnPFocus github page - I am using the 17HS13-0404S-PG27 NEMA 17 motor and it has plenty of torque.   Most focusers don't need much torque so this one may be overkill - and it is heavier than other options.

With respect to mounting hardware, there are some that do 3D printing, but for my Moonlite focuser Ron added in one of his brackets and I spent an hour or so at the drill press making an adapter out of some scrap aluminum to get everything dialed in.   I made one out of a thin piece of plywood first and it worked fine - I even contemplated making one out of plexiglass from an old clipboard, but the aluminum piece, once painted black, matches the Moonlite gear and looks cleaner.   

At the end of the day, there are not too many forces that you have to overcome, so you can use whatever material you are most comfortable working with.

• OldManSky likes this

#10 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Viking 1

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

Also, it seem strange to me that one needs to buy the Advanced version with the hand controller in order to get the temperature probe. Normally those who would be interested in the temperature probe (astrophotographers who want temperature compensation) would not want or need a hand controller.

My thoughts exactly.  $50 isn't budget-busting, but I can't help but wonder if the sensor jack is a 3.5mm "audio" jack that could potentially accommodate a third-party sensor. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics