•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Facebook Live Usage at Outreach Events

outreach
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

What are your thoughts on using Facebook Live at astronomy outreach events? I'd love to hear your experience  and if it helped to drive folks to your outreach events.

Jon

• tomwall likes this

#2 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

Daytime outreach events?

#3 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:10 AM

Listening in.   Have no idea what Facebook live is. 

#4 sg6

sg6

Aurora

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:23 AM

Would like to know what you mean.

Honestly the short description means close to nothing to me.

Is this you being live on facebook or you using a facebook feed at the outreach?

If either then:

If you being live on Facebook I would worry that you are more interested in being on Facebook and so the outreach would take second place.

If you were to be displaying Facebook feeds at the outreach then personally I would go home. My reason being why would I want to go to an outreach event to look at Facebook.

#5 BFaucett

BFaucett

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:36 AM

Just FYI for those that may not have heard of Facebook Live:

https://live.fb.com/

#6 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:53 AM

Basically when you go on Facebook there’s a thing that says “Live” under the area where you’d normally type something. It lets you essentially broadcast live and talk. I envisioned walking around and interviewing attendees to outreach events either when it’s still light out or if possible if the video work work slightly at night might be cool. After going live is done it saves the “broadcast” as a video on a post that would say “Jon Thomas was Live”

#7 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

Basically when you go on Facebook there’s a thing that says “Live” under the area where you’d normally type something. It lets you essentially broadcast live and talk. I envisioned walking around and interviewing attendees to outreach events either when it’s still light out or if possible if the video work work slightly at night might be cool. After going live is done it saves the “broadcast” as a video on a post that would say “Jon Thomas was Live”

I've done facebook live numerous times while I'm out observing by myself.  It gives people a chance to see what I'm looking at. Generally I'll place the phone up the eyepiece to show the Moon and the planets.

On occasion those viewing the live stream got really good views of Jupiter and Saturn.

I think it could work well at an outreach event.

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#8 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

I've done facebook live numerous times while I'm out observing by myself.  It gives people a chance to see what I'm looking at. Generally I'll place the phone up the eyepiece to show the Moon and the planets.

On occasion those viewing the live stream got really good views of Jupiter and Saturn.

I think it could work well at an outreach event.

I think so as well. I know Scott Roberts with Explore Scientific uses Facebook Live a lot. He's been giving me some pointers. I also read where Apple has some night vision camera apps that I might try. I may just use my red headlight to illuminate what i'm looking at in terms of folk's faces and equipment. It's dim enough (Black Diamond ReVolt *pretty much the only not designed for astronomy red light that is dim enough for astronomy). The first outreach event i'm coordinating is next month so I hope to give it a go then.

• zjc26138 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outreach

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics