•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rings or Mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

I just picked up a 102mm refractor and have mounted it on top of my 10in OTA. It is mounted using the gear that came with the scope. It's a short vixen mount. My question is would rings be a better mounting set up? Or is this current set up going to work fine. Of course flexure being the big culprit. I do not feel any movement with the refractor and does seem like a solid footing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190320_101322.jpg

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Skylab

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

What is the purpose?

For visual, what you are doing will work fine.

For imaging, how are you going to set things up?  Using the refractor and SCT as main scope and guide scope, or vice-versa, will be flexure city.  The only way to beat flexure, if you are imaging through the SCT, is with an OAG.  You may have better luck imaging with the refractor and a guide scope, if the guide scope is light weight and mounted to the refractor's focuser (not the tube and not the rings).  An OAG would work for the refractor, too.

For some good information about guiding with a finder scope, check out this link.  Look at the 10 x 60 "Vario-Finder with Quick Release Guider Bracket Kit (1060VGKIT)" and read the description of the product.  Even if you don't purchase it, it's got some excellent wisdom about flexure and the best way to mount guide scopes.

I hope that this helps,

-Wade

#3 Pess

Pess

(Title)

• Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

I just picked up a 102mm refractor and have mounted it on top of my 10in OTA. It is mounted using the gear that came with the scope. It's a short vixen mount. My question is would rings be a better mounting set up? Or is this current set up going to work fine. Of course flexure being the big culprit. I do not feel any movement with the refractor and does seem like a solid footing.

Looks really pretty but unwieldly a bit.

I'm with the last poster and suggest a OAG would be more practical.   You can alternate and use the OAG to image with either scope (one at a time on mount).

For visual, I'm kinda wondering how you are using the finder scope to aim the bit SCT?  Unless you have yet another little finder scope out of sight mounted on the SCT...

Pesse (Now you have an excuse to buy a second mount..) Mist

Edited by Pess, 20 March 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

It looks solid enough but putting the rings onto a Losmandy/Vixen full size bar attached to the SCT tube would be better.
That's an SV102ED doublet is it not? If so its not super heavy compared to a triplet or a LOMO 102 doublet.

#5 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

What is the purpose?

For visual, what you are doing will work fine.

For imaging, how are you going to set things up?  Using the refractor and SCT as main scope and guide scope, or vice-versa, will be flexure city.  The only way to beat flexure, if you are imaging through the SCT, is with an OAG.  You may have better luck imaging with the refractor and a guide scope, if the guide scope is light weight and mounted to the refractor's focuser (not the tube and not the rings).  An OAG would work for the refractor, too.

For some good information about guiding with a finder scope, check out this link.  Look at the 10 x 60 "Vario-Finder with Quick Release Guider Bracket Kit (1060VGKIT)" and read the description of the product.  Even if you don't purchase it, it's got some excellent wisdom about flexure and the best way to mount guide scopes.

I hope that this helps,

-Wade

I do have the finder scope you suggested and it's very good at it's job. I've use it as my guide scope for some time.

#6 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

Looks really pretty but unwieldly a bit.

I'm with the last poster and suggest a OAG would be more practical.   You can alternate and use the OAG to image with either scope (one at a time on mount).

For visual, I'm kinda wondering how you are using the finder scope to aim the bit SCT?  Unless you have yet another little finder scope out of sight mounted on the SCT...

Pesse (Now you have an excuse to buy a second mount..) Mist

It does seem a bit much.

I don't want to do a side by side mount because of the problems associated with balancing a small refractor on one side at 19lbs and the other side with a 10in at 35lbs.

I had an off-axis guider from ZWO but sold it because I was unable to bring everything in line with the imaging train. I kept getting shadows from the OAG in my darks. The refractor in the image is being used for visuals only, it's a doublet. I was also thinking it would make a good guide scope, enabling me to lose the finder scope on top. I also have a green laser pointer on the other side of the refractor.  This is used to bring the refractor in line with the main scope or guide star. The main scope is aligned with the guider scope. The only flexure I can find is the RA has a tiny amount of play. Granted I assume flexure can be un-discoverable until an image is produced.

I assume it's perfectly reasonable to use the refractor as a guide scope. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

#7 WadeH237

WadeH237

Skylab

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

I assume it's perfectly reasonable to use the refractor as a guide scope. Is this correct?

I addressed that in my first response:  It is going to have pretty bad flexure.

Really, the only way to get reasonable guiding with the SCT is with an OAG...

#8 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

Thank you for everyone's feedback. I guess I am again in the market for an off axis guider.

Any suggestions?

I have a ZWO camera and figured their OAG is probably the best route. I just sold a new one, kept getting shadows in my darks, and couldn't seem to get things aligned very well. There are times when I do not feel very confident about this work.

Again, thanks,

Gregory Gig Harbor, WA.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics