•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyones Redcat started to arrive from stockists yet?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:52 AM

anyone got one yet from dealers ?? I know some have samples 

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:48 AM

Can only say from a recent Astro Fair, March 9, that you could hand over your money or plastic, purchase and run out the show laughing merrily with one in your hand. A few number on sale.

One retailer seems to have a couple of "White" versions, if I recall these were reported as preproduction/mass production. Do WO do "mass" production, best described as not the main production run.

FLO_WCat

FLO seem to be saying expected Late March however as said quite a number at the March 9 Show.

#3 AnakChan

AnakChan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:45 AM

Can only say from a recent Astro Fair, March 9, that you could hand over your money or plastic, purchase and run out the show laughing merrily with one in your hand. A few number on sale.

One retailer seems to have a couple of "White" versions, if I recall these were reported as preproduction/mass production. Do WO do "mass" production, best described as not the main production run.

FLO_WCat

FLO seem to be saying expected Late March however as said quite a number at the March 9 Show.

I believe the white ones are limited edition. A shop in Japan managed to reserve 30 of them but they were sold out the next day This is the first I've heard them mentioned as pre-prod rather than limited release.

#4 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:40 AM

Pre ordered mine from Agena but nothing yet in stock afaik.

#5 girdurloins

girdurloins

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

I ordered mine at the beginning of the March from Highpoint Scientific over the phone.  They said they anticipated beginning shipments in late March, with most orders filling in April.  He left me with the impression mine would ship in March, but it's probably just hopeful thinking on my part

Edited by girdurloins, 21 March 2019 - 12:36 PM.

• ZL4PLM likes this

#6 GraySkies

GraySkies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

I'm getting mine via Kickstarter Campaign, apparently at least 1 has arrived in someone's hands. I'm expecting mine to be shipped April 5th as it will have the upgraded front filter threads for terrestrial usage as I'm a hybrid shooter.

#7 25585

Soyuz

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

Someone in the UK https://stargazerslo...comment=3621329

#8 girdurloins

girdurloins

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

Saw this comment from Agena Astro today:

Availability Update (Last revised: 28 Mar, 2019): WO has pushed the shipping date of the first batch out to from late-March to mid-April, so the first batch of scopes will ship to customers in late April. They are currently shipping the first 100 or so scopes to customers who directly ordered from them via their Kickstarter campaign in Jan/Feb, but as far as we know, no dealer orders are shipping yet.

• ZL4PLM likes this

#9 alan.dang

alan.dang

Explorer 1

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:43 PM

I ordered through the Kickstarter and got mine today.  As expected, it's pretty cloudy so I didn't try any astrophotography but I threw onto the Canon 5Ds and Fuji X-H1 and took some initial terrestrial shots. 

First impressions are that it's pretty amazing, especially for the price.  On the X-H1 it is so contrasty that focus peaking works at 10X magnified zoom.

It's definitely one of my sharpest optics I have, albeit at a 250mm f/4.9 (51mm aperture).  For reference my other sharp refractor is the TEC 110FL (not the WO version but the real TEC version) and the Canon 200/1.8L. 

It "feels" in that same class of optics, although again it's at f/4.9.

It's also heavier than I expected.  It feels great when using it as a camera lens but it may not balance well on a stock Vixen Polarie. 

• zjc26138 and GraySkies like this

#10 25585

Soyuz

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

https://stargazerslo...st-image-oh-no/

#11 tazer

tazer

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Pitts (NC)

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

Really seems like a great compromise scope:

1. Astrophotography - perhaps a corner issue, but otherwise a good scope (not excellent)
  2. Daytime birding/zoo lens - manual focus and fixed aperture, but otherwise a sharp lens with great bokeh
  3. Travel scope - low power but small enough to pack in a carry on and take with you on a trip (could have used this in the Galapagos)
  4. Finder scope - my GTF81 is a bit heavy for a finder on my VMC, but @ 250mm producing a great view, it's blows an achro finder out of the water
  5. Guide scope - There are smaller lighter guide scopes but it's another area to get some additional value

A bit pricey but I think I'm going to join the wait list.

#12 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

I cancelled my order - I bought a Samyang 135 

The reason i wanted it was for wide field - Ill stick with the SV70T triplet and mosaic 

I was hoping for better things - maybe in the future once they sort the issues out in QC - initially not looking so rosy red!

#13 ippiu

ippiu

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:13 AM

I cancelled my order - I bought a Samyang 135 

I was hoping for better things - maybe in the future once they sort the issues out in QC - initially not looking so rosy red!

https://www.cloudyni...-3#entry9267120

#14 NZhendo

NZhendo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

I ordered via Kickstarter and it is due to be delivered tomorrow. Weather forecast for the rest of the week is not good so it may do some time on the Kereru (birds) in my back yard. Going to set it up as a grab and go with a CEM25P. Am still very much a novice, but will post some images once i have something.

#15 gregbradley

gregbradley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:02 PM

I saw a post that showed a tilt/tip adapter from K-Astec for the Redcat. Now I can't find it. Anyone know where that might be?

Greg.

#16 waso29

waso29

Apollo

• Loc: Chi-Town, mother earth

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

http://k-astec.cocol.../post-a9dc.html

#17 gregbradley

gregbradley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for that Apollo.

I think this scope is going to need that tilt tip adapter.

Greg.

#18 girdurloins

girdurloins

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

Just spoke with Highpoint.  They got in 10 last week.  No clue as to when mine will ship,  I am number 34 in the present remaining queue and I ordered on 3/15.  They don't have any clear indication from WO as to when and how many of their PO's are shipping, whether they will still get some trickling in, or if there will be a larger shipment.  Sigh...

#19 Rmorales6

Rmorales6

Sputnik

• Loc: Virginia Beach

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for that Apollo.

I think this scope is going to need that tilt tip adapter.

Greg.

What is that and why does it need it?

#20 weh

weh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern North Carolina USA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:16 AM

According to UPS tracking, mine will arrive this Monday (29 Apr 2019). It was purchased through KickStarter. I am number 104 of 129 on the whole list; however, as the list was splintered with the free 55mm filter thread option (which I selected), I don't know exactly where everything stands. My guess would be that all non-filter-thread options have been delivered by now; but I have no way of knowing.

Edited by weh, 26 April 2019 - 12:21 AM.

#21 gregbradley

gregbradley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

What is that and why does it need it?

If stars are elongated in one corner or one side it may indicate tilt and you need to be able to correct that. A tilt adapter allows you to square up the scope and camera and it gets rid of a lot of these corner elongations.

K-Astec in Japan sells a tilt adapter for this scope. Getting an order in with them may take some emails but they have them on their site. Best to use Chrome for the better translation ability.

Greg.

#22 gregbradley

gregbradley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:34 PM

According to UPS tracking, mine will arrive this Monday (29 Apr 2019). It was purchased through KickStarter. I am number 104 of 129 on the whole list; however, as the list was splintered with the free 55mm filter thread option (which I selected), I don't know exactly where everything stands. My guess would be that all non-filter-thread options have been delivered by now; but I have no way of knowing.

I got an email from WO telling me to expect a tracking number shortly. I think I would have gotten it earlier but UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes.

Greg.

#23 weh

weh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:35 PM

I'm a little annoyed with WO at the moment (although, in truth, it is probably as much my fault as it is theirs). I ordered several additional items after having initially ordered and paid for only the RedCat 51 lens/scope through KickStarter. The RC51 was shipped from Taiwan in its own box. One of the additional items originated here in the USA and arrived independently. The remaining items also shipped from Taiwan in a second box. In spite of there having been two separate orders and one of them split between US and Taiwanese sources, the resulting invoice was unified -- and enough to trigger a $73.64 US Customs charge. I've paid it -- it certainly won't break me. However, had the lens/scope, the item from the USA warehouse and the extra items from Taiwan each been on their own invoices, I'd have skated under the US Customs radar fully legally.

The two boxes from Taiwan were held up by UPS over the weekend because my customs payment had to clear their paperwork before they can be delivered tomorrow. I didn't find out about any of this until late Thursday evening (actually about 1 a.m. Friday morning - an automated notice from UPS). I would dispute this with Customs; but after inquiring on Friday, I figured the paperwork and time involved would cost me way more in effort than the savings would be worth. C'est la vie.

Lessons to be learned: Be careful what you ask for; and, the devil's in the details.

Edited by weh, 28 April 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#24 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:16 AM

I still can't figure out why it's all a Kickstarter project.

I know all about customs and handling fees with being in the UKmad.gif

Glen.

#25 weh

weh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:19 AM

It gets worse: The same charge is attached to EACH of the two boxes that came from Taiwan! And, in spite of my having paid the fee, apparently I have to pay it again! Is it worth it to tackle the US Government over principle when you know it's going to take mountains of paperwork and hours of phone calls over a month to six weeks and probably still accomplish nothing? If I don't pay it, the box goes into limbo, eventually being returned to WO in Taiwan. I'm paying it and crying.... It's going to be a Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia night.

Edited to add: Things are sorted out -- sort of. The two packages from WO Taiwan got separated (in spite of their having been shipped as package 1 of 2 and package 2 of 2) and the customs bill got appended to both. After a looooooong call to the department of UPS that handles such things, they reunited the tracking numbers of the two packages and the customs charges sorted themselves out. I still had to pay the first $73.64 but the second one disappeared. I'm a much happier camper now -- although it's still going to be a Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia night....  :-)  After all, I am now the proud possessor of my first real hybrid telescope (and, of course, it's cloudy outside)!

Edited by weh, 29 April 2019 - 02:38 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics