•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where does your scope balance out?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:59 AM

Mine (Nexstar 8SE)mounts so that there's only about a half inch of dove tail past the back side of the arm. Seems like it's mounted way far forward but the spot the scope balances on is a little over 5 inches from the back of the scope. I mount that spot at the middle of the arm right at the index marks. This would be correct right?

#2 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:31 AM

On a GEM, scope should be balanced very slightly "east-heavy" to fight possible looseness within worm-gear.

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:10 AM

If you're talking about an original 8SE Alt/Az mount, you are correct.

#4 deansjc

deansjc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:25 AM

In case you didn't see this topic previously, you can search for "Back Heavy" vis a vis GoTo Approach in the Nexstar forum.   

Since that discussion, I implemented a wedge design.  That means a second review of just "what balances where"....which remains to be done while I get proficient with the new alignment procedure :-)

'All the best!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics