•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:00 AM

When moving back from New Zealand, I specifically chose the few coastal regions we have in Germany expecting the local weather to change on a 6-8 hour basis that I gotten used to and psychologically enjoyed very much in NZ and Cork, Ireland. Alas, no such luck here at the Baltic Sea at all. Maybe should have chosen the North Sea but rent is prohibitively expensive in those areas compared to here in East Germany.

Last night I figured I probably end up with max 2 cloudless evenings in a good month, maybe 3, if I count in the moon lit nights.
But only in good months:
- not between mid-end of May to mid September due to the 54th latitude, 
- and not between mid November to mid-end of February due to permanent, no exaggeration, cloud cover - maybe due to the river mouth of the Warnow right here where I now live.

What does that leave me with and does it warrant any further equipment purchases? I.e. the APM 80 or 100mm 90˚semi apo binoscope  I'm saving for to replace my current Goto refractor/binoviewer setup? (Note: the preference on 2 eyes)

Only 5 months out 12, each a max of 3 nights = 15, leaning towards 10, really.
I equal one viewing session with the fun of a cinema night out = 20 €. 15x20€ = 300€ a year.
So the return of investment of my dream binocs plus mount at ~1800€ would equal 6 years worth of 15 cinema visits per year. 15 guaranteed cinema visits, not a weather dependant gamble with rather a lot of disappointment from uncertain forecasts.   Which might even get worse due to climate change and/or solar activity cycle.

After that calculation I starting thinking: what about a microscope? grin.gif 
Seriously, though.

The various aspects of our astro hobby of which I touched only the faintest basics are so intriguing and diverse - can biology pique my interest, my imagination just as much?

It’s not for nothing that I liken a viewing session with a movie on a big screen at the cinema. A viewing session gives me all sorts of “stories” and big emotions, too.  Just without all the noise and without the “dictatorship” of the screenplay writer in my own stories.

Is hobby microscoping somewhat similar? What does it give you guys? 

#2 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:09 AM

At school, I only had half a year of biology involving microscopes. I always got unit #12, I still remember, and I never saw anything through it. I still suspect our teacher giving me the only crap one and never let me swap or get up to look through someone else's bc she didn't like me grin.gif . 

So I don't know where to start or what to expect or whether I'd like "doing it" - nor what "doing it" entails apart from looking into 2 eyepieces. 

I believe my first point of interest would be geology, stones, sand, crystals, old, dead things and their beauty and hidden stories. 

Edited by silv, 21 March 2019 - 05:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics