•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Odds of 2735 sticking around until Sunday?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Matt78

Matt78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

Howdy,

I do understand that sunspots come and sunspots go, and nobody knows just how long they'll last...  but, I was curious if those with more solar observing experience than me have any sense of whether that's likely to a matter of a day or two, or a bit longer. I've probably got about 30 minutes of observing experience, so almost anyone knows better than I do. I ask  this because my part of the Northeast isn't expected to have any clear skies until Sunday morning, and my daughter is itching to see her first sunspots. Any advice/predictions are appreciated!

Matt

#2 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

It's going to be close for Sunday, may still be visible at the edge.  This one is a pretty good size, so I doubt it will disappear by then.  It's more likely a matter of it it's still facing us.

I'm hoping it will hold out for Sunday as well, that will be my first chance to take a look at it.

• Matt78 likes this

#3 Matt78

Matt78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the advice, bobito. I did get a look at 2734 (I think that was the one), but it was so small I didn't bother showing it to my daughter, as I'm not sure her eyes are experienced enough to see one that small yet. So I'm really hoping this one stays, as I'm sure she can spot it (no pun intended... ok maybe a little). 

• Dagobert likes this

#4 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

Bummer, not only is the spot not visible today there is only a single tiny Promenance to be seen.  :(

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

Bummer, not only is the spot not visible today there is only a single tiny Promenance to be seen.  frown.gif

But, there are wonderful prominences (the filaments that were going around the poles near the largest umbra) now that it's on the limb that are super interesting. My favorite are limb spots for this very moment.

Very best,

• bobito likes this

#6 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

Yes, I was able to spot those little spikes where the spot is on the edge later in the day.  The seeing improved as the sun got higher.  Something also belched out the bottom but didn't last long.  

Viewing the Sun in Ha is like a box of chocolates!   :)

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

Yes, I was able to spot those little spikes where the spot is on the edge later in the day.  The seeing improved as the sun got higher.  Something also belched out the bottom but didn't last long.  

Viewing the Sun in Ha is like a box of chocolates!   smile.gif

Awesome, and yes, it is...  you just never know. Things happen in minutes and are gone again. Flares are like that. Sometimes a prominence lifts off rapidly.

Very bets,

#8 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

This morning around 9 AM EDT I observed a long, broad spicule emerge in this area.  It lasted about 15 minutes and then gradually sunk back into the limb.  I’ve been watching this area change off and on all day.  Very distracting from the stuff I need to do!

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

This morning around 9 AM EDT I observed a long, broad spicule emerge in this area.  It lasted about 15 minutes and then gradually sunk back into the limb.  I’ve been watching this area change off and on all day.  Very distracting from the stuff I need to do!

I think that thing was a surge prominence! :)

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics