•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smart Phone Eyepiece Adaptor

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:11 AM

Hello, when I do outreach I have quite a bit of people that like to attempt to take photos of the Moon and such through the eyepiece using their smart phones. I would like to get an adapter that they can use for this since it takes quite a bit of time for them try to get it right. There a quite a few options available and I have read some reviews but I would like to get the opinions of the good people on Cloudy Nights since I am sure that many of us have run into similar situations. I am looking for good build quality and ease of use. Let me know what you got!

• rolo likes this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

I believe Televue makes something for that... attaches to the ring that does their Dioptrx?    Tom

#3 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

Acere, tell those guajiros to put their phones away!

• kenkolen and JB103 like this

#4 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

I believe Televue makes something for that... attaches to the ring that does their Dioptrx?    Tom

Hi Tom, I know who makes them, I'm looking for real world actual experiences using them.

Edited by crazyqban, 21 March 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#5 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

Acere, tell those guajiros to put their phones away!

ROLO, que bola??? I try bro, it's a losing battle. This post is my white flag!!! LOL

Edited by crazyqban, 21 March 2019 - 09:48 AM.

• BRCoz likes this

#6 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:07 AM

Just ran across this one, anyone have any experience with it? Looks very well made but it's a bit pricey.

https://www.youtube....h?v=furTPUW4HgQ

#7 Cameron_C

Cameron_C

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill Ontario Canada

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

Hi there,

Not exactly the same issue, but I try to take pictures using my cell phone when I am testing.

We have several iPhone models in our house.

What I noticed as a pain, is that the form factor is different.

Meaning that when I have everything set for a specific phone, it does not align for a different phone.

I would imagine that you would see this issue magnified at your outreach events, where everyone has a different model and make of cell phone.

• crazyqban likes this

#8 kenkolen

kenkolen

Explorer 1

• Loc: Miami

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:23 AM

Tell those people to get an internet connection, there are plenty of those photos on line, they don't have to tie up the line with pictures for their friends.

• crazyqban and TOMDEY like this

#9 alstarjoey

alstarjoey

Vostok 1

• Loc: Peoria, IL

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

I purchased the William Optics Cellphone holder. I have not had a chance to try it out yet due to the weather. It does come with its own 1-1/4 eyepiece so your telescope can be used by others while the cellphone is being mounted in the adapter.

Here is the William Optics link

https://williamoptic...-of-smartphones

Good luck and clear skies

Jim

two dogs and too many telescopes

• Chris Johnson and crazyqban like this

#10 Ishtim

Ishtim

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

As Tom eluded to, the TV fonemate fits snugly to EPs that accept Dioptrix.  It uses a "compression" type ring that locks onto the lip that holds the rubber EP cup (after removing the rubber EP cup) and tightening the ring.  The phone is then placed flat onto the fonemate plate then positioned so that the camera is centered in the EP.  Once centered, the phone is secured/squeezed on its edges with 2 pairs of tabs that can be locked with a set screw. It's really sturdy and has accepted a variety of phone types that I have tried (Samsung/Apple).  It takes a little practice for proper alignment/centering using the camera's live view for visual clues, but after a few times I'd say it takes about 30 sec. to attach and center a phone camera (assuming you already have the fonemate attached to the eyepiece).  I use it with various Ethoi and like to "go live" on facebook as well especially during solar or planetary viewing.   http://www.televue.c...d=73&Tab=_phone    

• crazyqban likes this

#11 l_stoian79

l_stoian79

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

I use Celestron NeXYZ phone adapter.
  • Jaimo! and crazyqban like this

#12 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

How do you like it? Will it stand up to heavy use? I read a couple of reviews that stated that it was not very sturdy and not very well made. I was looking at it mut those comments are kinda steering me away from it. What are your thoughts on it?

#13 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

As Tom eluded to, the TV fonemate fits snugly to EPs that accept Dioptrix.  It uses a "compression" type ring that locks onto the lip that holds the rubber EP cup (after removing the rubber EP cup) and tightening the ring.  The phone is then placed flat onto the fonemate plate then positioned so that the camera is centered in the EP.  Once centered, the phone is secured/squeezed on its edges with 2 pairs of tabs that can be locked with a set screw. It's really sturdy and has accepted a variety of phone types that I have tried (Samsung/Apple).  It takes a little practice for proper alignment/centering using the camera's live view for visual clues, but after a few times I'd say it takes about 30 sec. to attach and center a phone camera (assuming you already have the fonemate attached to the eyepiece).  I use it with various Ethoi and like to "go live" on facebook as well especially during solar or planetary viewing.   http://www.televue.c...d=73&Tab=_phone    

I was thinking about that one also but are they only usable with Televue eyepieces? I have couple of Nikons that I use quite a bit and I don't think that the TV FoneMate will work with them.

#14 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

Tell those people to get an internet connection, there are plenty of those photos on line, they don't have to tie up the line with pictures for their friends.

I tell them that but they say "it's not the same".. YES IT IS!!!  LOL

Also, they are VERY happy when the manage to get a decent photo. Lots of people are really attached to their phones so if they can take a photo and share it on social media and such, it might bring more people out to our outreach events.

Edited by crazyqban, 21 March 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#15 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

We use the Celestron NexYZ adapter for outreach, we were pleased enough with it to buy another to spread the use to two telescopes. Very easy to use and lines the phone up quickly and accurately.
  • crazyqban likes this

#16 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:39 PM

We use the Celestron NexYZ adapter for outreach, we were pleased enough with it to buy another to spread the use to two telescopes. Very easy to use and lines the phone up quickly and accurately.

Great, thank you for the information.

#17 SkyCruzr

SkyCruzr

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

How do you like it? Will it stand up to heavy use? I read a couple of reviews that stated that it was not very sturdy and not very well made. I was looking at it mut those comments are kinda steering me away from it. What are your thoughts on it?

A good thread on the NexYZ here.  I ended up getting one, just haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

• crazyqban likes this

#18 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:50 PM

OK, I decided to go with the Novograde Universal. It's pricey and I've never heard of it but the reviews look good and the construction is solid. Once I get it I will show you guys and do a quick review or something. Stay tuned.

#19 Jond105

Jond105

Vanguard

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:13 PM

I’m a little late, but if any problems with the one you purchased, definitely think about the Celestron NexYZ. I just received an iPhone XR, and even with a case, it fits no problem and takes seconds to get it centered. That’s if the one you ordered does not fit the bill 

• crazyqban likes this

#20 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

That’s an acceptable option.

It’s better made than most but it’s still made with lots of plastic parts.

I bought one just for fun. I got it from a brick and mortar local store where I had the opportunity to try it and to compare it to two other offerings. The Celestron was the best, mostly because the other two were just flimsy shaky sorry little things.

Edited by AxelB, 22 March 2019 - 09:25 AM.

• crazyqban and SeaBee1 like this

#21 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:06 PM

I've used my Nexyz on a few occasions. It is far better than the 3 others I have tried. I doubt I'll look any further.

• SkyCruzr likes this

#22 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

Interesting, had not seen that one. The Novograde Universal that I ordered arrived today but I am mega busy with work today and tomorrow so not sure when I will be able to get to it.

#23 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:51 PM

UPDATE: The Novograde Universal doesn't work with any of my eyepieces. Since all of my eyepieces are kinda tapered on the top, the adapter has no where to hold on to on the eyepiece. Construction looks really good but i found that trying to adjust the phone to align correctly could be a bit of a pain in the rear. I am sending it back and I am going to give the TeleVue FoneMate a try.

#24 pbddict1

pbddict1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, NY

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

I ran into this at our school's "Astronomy Night" for the kids... all they want to do is grab photos... they don't even care to look through the eyepiece...

Once you do find a holder that works...you would still have to allow them to move it around, as each cell phone camera location might be different. 

Maybe (after you find a holder that works) get an extra cell phone that has NFC so you can leave that single device attached, and then they can just get their phone near and you can "beam" the photos from the already located and focused device.

Edited by pbddict1, 30 March 2019 - 03:48 PM.

• crazyqban likes this

#25 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

So I received the TeleVye Fonemate and it seems to work well however... It only fits my TeleVue eyepieces (as expected) even though I was hoping that it would also fit my Nikon NAV-HWs but it doesn't. One thing I don't like is the I seem to slightly lose focus after I place the phone on it and then screw it on to the eyepiece. Not sure if this is the simple solution that I was looking for or not. I will mess with ti for a week or two more and then decide on keeping it or sending it back. M45 was taken with my FS-152 and a 31 Nagler and the Moon was taken with my Sky 90II with a 1.6X extender and a 21 Ethos.

Attached Thumbnails

• image2.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics