•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to control my mount using Laptop only? EQ6-R

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amajed172

amajed172

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

Hi

I've been using the hand controller for quite some time now, and it's time to move on and replace it with a laptop.

I'll lay down what I've gathered so far from searching.

first, my mount is the Sky Watcher EQ6-R

My camera for imaging is ASI1600MM Cooled with EFW "filter wheel"

My guiding camera on a seperate guide scope is ASI290MM Mini

Laptop using Windows 10 Pro 64bit (does not have USB3)

Sequence Generator Pro (For capturing, Auto Meridian Flip, Auto Guiding with PHD2, Plate Solving)

PHD2 Software

ASCOM 6.4

Sky Watcher mount ASCOM Driver

I ordered this cable:

Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter for Sky-Watcher Mounts

Now for my question, do I need a planetarium software like CdC, Stellarium or Starry Night Pro to control it?

Do I need the hand controller at all like for star alignment or anything else? if not, how do I use Star Alignment?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

You can use planetarium software if you like.

I use it mostly for comets and asteroids and exotic stuff like exoplanets.

But otherwise you can use SGP and its excellent Framing and mosaic wizard.

You don't have to use alignment because you can do a plate solve and sync with SGP.

I personally don't use hand controller - apart from maybe for quick solar imaging session.

• Astrola72 and amajed172 like this

#3 amajed172

amajed172

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

You can use planetarium software if you like.

I use it mostly for comets and asteroids and exotic stuff like exoplanets.

But otherwise you can use SGP and its excellent Framing and mosaic wizard.

You don't have to use alignment because you can do a plate solve and sync with SGP.

I personally don't use hand controller - apart from maybe for quick solar imaging session.

Nice, Thanks.

So I guess I'll install CdC for the fun of it.

can't wait for the cable to arrive, thanks.

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

I have used the laptop to control Atlas, SkyWatcher and HDX mounts for quite a few years.

Install the ASCOM Platform then install EQMOD... I like Stellarium for planetarium, so install StellariumScope and Stellarium.

Purchase the USB2EQ5 cable from ShoeString Astronomy... I'm pretty sure that is the correct cable... they can let you know

With the above and configured properly, you won't need the HC, you can run direct from laptop to mount 

• amajed172 likes this

#5 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

Yes, you can try CdC, I make a good price on par with Stellarium, so feel free to try both :-)

But most important, as Jeff say, is to install the Eqmod Ascom driver and forget about the Skywatcher Synscan driver when the connection to the mount is through the Eqdir.

Look for extensive documentation at:

http://eq-mod.source...t/eqaindex.html

The last version V200q is available from:

https://sourceforge..../files/EQASCOM/

Never mix the use of the handpad (you can put in the attic) and Eqmod, star alignment is done in Eqmod by syncing any star you see in the planetarium, or anywhere with a plate solving software.

Patrick

• amajed172 likes this

#6 amajed172

amajed172

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

I have used the laptop to control Atlas, SkyWatcher and HDX mounts for quite a few years.

Install the ASCOM Platform then install EQMOD... I like Stellarium for planetarium, so install StellariumScope and Stellarium.

Purchase the USB2EQ5 cable from ShoeString Astronomy... I'm pretty sure that is the correct cable... they can let you know

With the above and configured properly, you won't need the HC, you can run direct from laptop to mount 

Thanks

isn't the USB2EQ5 is the sams as the Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter for Sky-Watcher Mounts?

from the outside both look the same.

I'll install the EQASCOM now. hopefully the cable that I ordered will work with it

#7 amajed172

amajed172

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

Yes, you can try CdC, I make a good price on par with Stellarium, so feel free to try both :-)

But most important, as Jeff say, is to install the Eqmod Ascom driver and forget about the Skywatcher Synscan driver when the connection to the mount is through the Eqdir.

Look for extensive documentation at:

http://eq-mod.source...t/eqaindex.html

The last version V200q is available from:

https://sourceforge..../files/EQASCOM/

Never mix the use of the handpad (you can put in the attic) and Eqmod, star alignment is done in Eqmod by syncing any star you see in the planetarium, or anywhere with a plate solving software.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick

I installed the latest ver of EQASCOM. hopefully the cable that I've ordered is compatible.

I'll be using PulseGuide too. not sure if I'm missing something or not, but since I'm going to use EQMOD I'll use everything with it I guess.

there's always a first time for everything ;)

Thanks again.

#8 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

Make sure you install ASCOM platform 6 first!

And about the cables... I don't know... I will only use the Shoestring one... I have about a dozen scopes in various locations using them.

• amajed172 likes this

#9 amajed172

amajed172

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

Make sure you install ASCOM platform 6 first!

And about the cables... I don't know... I will only use the Shoestring one... I have about a dozen scopes in various locations using them.

Thanks Jeff

looks like my cable does support the EQMOD. and it's 5m long so that's a plus for me.

I did install ASCOM platform 6.4 first, then I installed the EQASCOM.

I think I'm ready now, waiting for my cable.

Thanks again Jeff ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics