•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Want to transfer EQ mount to Alt-Az tripod need pier suggestions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nickup

nickup

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Hey all, I'm looking for some ideas for transferring my CGEMII EQ mount over from "what I consider a weak tripod" to my ALT-AZ tripod "which is significantly stronger" that I have from my 11" Edge HD. using a pier-plate mount of some sort that would attach to both for heavier payloads, the CGEM is rated to 40lbs, but I feel even with that stock tripod its weaker for that kind of load,. I've looked thru several websites for the hole sizes 4.5inchs and 5 inches as imaged for said pier to work with these dimensions but information does'nt show the hole/thread distances between them any advice would be truly appreciated

Attached Thumbnails

• edge11 trpodaba.jpg

Edited by nickup, 21 March 2019 - 01:51 PM.

#2 nickup

nickup

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

wondering if this might work cg5_riser_application_large.jpg

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

Pretty sure the hole pattern is the same as the old Celestron wedge/fork base pattern because you can put a wedge on this tripod. The Meade pattern is a hair larger. Astro-Physics on their ADATRI tripod adapter for the 400/600/Mach1 mounts uses a 3 bolt pattern slot that accommodates both company's patterns. So this basic pattern is replicated on a lot of tripods from a lot of makers although I don't off the top of my head know if the tripods use the C or M bolt circle. I have an AP Baader tripod in my collection but have never measured the circle to see if its C or M. On that note you can buy a CGEM pier adapter from like ADM or someone and make a bottom plate that those three bolts can screw into. Here is the Starizona CGEM adapter.

CGEM.jpg

If you look at the baseplate what you need is to have those empty holes in the baseplate to be threaded and matched to the Celestron tripod bolt pattern.

#4 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

I just transferred my AVX to the heavy duty CPC tripod. The center hole for the the locating pin rod on the CPC tripod is a M-12 thread. Since the AVX mounting mounting bolt is a M-10 thread I purchased a 150mm long m-10 threaded rod, a M-10/M-12 coupling nut and M-12 threaded rod  with the appropriate number of M-10 and M-12 nuts and washers. The result is shown in the pictures attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00288.JPG
  • DSC00289.JPG
  • DSC00290.JPG

• nickup likes this

#5 nickup

nickup

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

Thanks photoracer and Chris for the valuable information, Chris I'm curious about the wood platform you have there, is that attached to the tripod plate prior to you screwing the spring loaded threaded rod into the EQ mount, or Im not really see how that attachment is used in your configuration, or is the EQ permanently attached to the wood with that screwed to the rod..Im probably missing the point somewhere

#6 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Mariner 2

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:50 AM

The AVX mount has a 2-3/4” hub that extends 3/4” into the original tripod. The wood plate is cutout for that hub. My pictures may have given the impression that the rod is spring loaded. The spring loaded bolts are the original for that tripod and are not used. The best picture is the bottom one. This only works if the mounting bolt for your CGEM is an M-10. If, it is larger you will have to drill out the center.

#7 nickup

nickup

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

Well its definitely a lot cheaper way to go, I'd hate to remove my altitude knob for this, "not that its used that much during polar alignment"  I just looked at Dans piers website and he suggested this..a bit pricey for me at the moment, but all the heavy metal ones are  http://www.pierplate...ducts_3570.html    but maybe in a few months

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics