•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Illuminated reticle ep upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter
  • Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

I have an old University Optics Or 12.5mm illuminated reticle with corded battery holder and rheostat on the battery holder.  Has anyone on here ever upgraded one of these to cordless?  I wonder if the Agena cordless illuminator would work?  The cord is long and stiff, and an annoyance to use.

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

My UO 12.5mm Ortho takes a ~14mm illuminator, whereas nearly all the current battery illuminators are around ~8mm diameter.  You'll need some sort of adapter to make up the difference in size.  Maybe you could find some rubber O-rings at the plumbing dept or similar to put over the Agena cordless?  A couple rings 1/8" thick and 5/16" ID would just about do it.

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

for 30 bucks you can find several 12.5 mm illuminated reticle EP's on the bay.  this is basically what you would pay for a reticle by itself.  sure the EPs are not 7 element 100 degree but you are just using it for a finder. take it out after you have done your alignment. if you try using an adapter, the LED may end up being too far away to properly illuminate the reticle. 

#4 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

There is a small company that makes metal adapters for different sized illiuminators for these eyepieces...I have one at home and will add that info to this post later tonight when I get home.

mike

#5 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

for 30 bucks you can find several 12.5 mm illuminated reticle EP's on the bay.  this is basically what you would pay for a reticle by itself.  sure the EPs are not 7 element 100 degree but you are just using it for a finder. take it out after you have done your alignment. if you try using an adapter, the LED may end up being too far away to properly illuminate the reticle. 

Just be aware that in many of those the reticle crosshairs are not in the centre of the view.  Even a more expensive TS one ended up in my rubbish bin when I noticed that the reticle was not centred.....

I now use a Baader Polaris1 reticle which is very good.

#6 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter
  • Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:16 PM

Just be aware that in many of those the reticle crosshairs are not in the centre of the view.  Even a more expensive TS one ended up in my rubbish bin when I noticed that the reticle was not centred.....

I now use a Baader Polaris1 reticle which is very good.

Whether the crosshairs are centered does not matter for drift alignment, which is what i'm using it for, but mine is centered.  One of them I saw for sale has centering screws, btw.

Edit: For at least a stopgap measure, I shortened the 3.5 foot power cable to about 4 inches and spliced it inside the 2-AA battery box.  That way, I can either let the battery box hang, or velcro strap it to the focuser.  EP and box together are not as heavy as most 2 inch eyepieces.  The reason the power cable is so stiff is that the wires inside are solid, not stranded, copper.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 21 March 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Soyuz

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

Whether the crosshairs are centered does not matter for drift alignment, which is what i'm using it for, but mine is centered.  One of them I saw for sale has centering screws, btw.

Edit: For at least a stopgap measure, I shortened the 3.5 foot power cable to about 4 inches and spliced it inside the 2-AA battery box.  That way, I can either let the battery box hang, or velcro strap it to the focuser.  EP and box together are not as heavy as most 2 inch eyepieces.  The reason the power cable is so stiff is that the wires inside are solid, not stranded, copper.

To that point, can you disassemble the illuminator itself so you can change the whole power cable to a "fresh" stranded wire?  That kind of rewiring project is pretty simple, if you can get access to the connection points.

If you can do that, I'd suggest a hundred feet of 12ga wire, then you can leave your battery box in the closet and never have to move it again. smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics