•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium DS List - ID Magnitude

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mic1970

mic1970

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

I found the Bright Double Star list on Stellarium. Clicking on the star gives you the data pop up.  I found the separation in the star data (fourth from the bottom).  I think the secondary position is fifth from the bottom; is that correct?  Does it show magnitude of the second star or the difference. 

Side question, when is a separation to big.  I found some big enough I would think it would look like just another star in the sky. 

#2 AloE

AloE

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: USA & Switzerland

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:45 AM

the secondary position is fifth from the bottom; is that correct?  Does it show magnitude of the second star or the difference. 

often yes #5 from the bottom is the position angle of the secondary especially if in the WUT Bright Double Stars list

but i also do not see the magnitude of the secondary listed anywhere in the list which indeed would be useful

Beta Mon appears to not be in the list and does not have the same info listed...see images below

& often the secondary star is not plotted in the dataset...when the secondary star(s) are plotted then clicking on each one will show its respective magnitude.

fTkyXeE.png

iHsaRK2.png

Edited by AloE, 09 May 2019 - 01:51 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics