•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First real scope! Just bought a Meade Infinity 102mm on an Az mount!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern shore Maryland

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

Hello everyone! Super excited today as I just bought a Meade 102mm, it will be here tomorrow! I know its not the biggest and best but at the price and the dozens of overwhelmingly positive reviews I read, I decided to take the plunge.

This is my 1st real scope, I recieved a cheapo for Christmas, when I was 10, and could barely see Venus but that might've been my inexperience. Although it came "brand new" in a very sketchy box so who knows.

I've read the planets will be very clear, especially Jupiter and Saturn, with this scope along with bright stars and the Orion Nebula. What else should I try to find? Also how visible would VY Canis Majoris be in the winter?

All help will be greatly appreciated since I'm completely new at this and still trying to wrap my head around all the new terminology and math😁.

Thanks again and Clear Skies
Jay
  • paul hart, rustynpp, zjc26138 and 14 others like this

#2 Justin Fuller

Justin Fuller

Messenger

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

Congrats! Have fun. Orion Nebula will look good. I suggest you just scan around with the scope, you'll run into some very interesting things in Orion, Canis Major and all the constellations that the Milky Way runs through. VY Canis Majoris will be visible in your scope at night now, it's an interesting star to keep an eye on over years as it's brightness changes. I suggest something like Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky atlas, and beginners book like NightWatch to get you going. Enjoy!

• paul hart, Earthbound1 and maknswarf like this

#3 gene 4181

gene 4181

Aurora

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:59 PM

The Beehive cluster will be nice in that scope   ,   In Cancer  between  the twins and the lion ,   smile.gif

• Colin exraaf, Earthbound1 and maknswarf like this

#4 Keith NC

Keith NC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Guilford County North Carolina

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

Congrats, 4” refractor can show you a lifetime of cool stuff.  You might consider getting a copy of “Turn Left at Orion”.  Will give you some great targets to track down with your new scope.

good luck and enjoy

Keith

• zjc26138 and maknswarf like this

#5 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

Congrats, 4” refractor can show you a lifetime of cool stuff.  You might consider getting a copy of “Turn Left at Orion”.  Will give you some great targets to track down with your new scope.

good luck and enjoy

Keith

Ditto this!

Congrats on the scope!

• maknswarf likes this

#6 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:19 PM

Congrats!

My missing size scope - around 4”. Very nice size scope and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of use from it. Be sure to update us with a first light report on what you see.

• maknswarf likes this

#7 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

The Beehive cluster will be nice in that scope , In Cancer between the twins and the lion , smile.gif

Awesome! Thank you Ill put it on my ever-growing list of stuff to see😊
  • gene 4181 likes this

#8 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

Congrats! Have fun. Orion Nebula will look good. I suggest you just scan around with the scope, you'll run into some very interesting things in Orion, Canis Major and all the constellations that the Milky Way runs through. VY Canis Majoris will be visible in your scope at night now, it's an interesting star to keep an eye on over years as it's brightness changes. I suggest something like Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky atlas, and beginners book like NightWatch to get you going. Enjoy!

I cant wait I put the books on my wishlist my wallet is a little tight right now 😁
  • Justin Fuller and kksmith like this

#9 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

Congrats!

My missing size scope - around 4”. Very nice size scope and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of use from it. Be sure to update us with a first light report on what you see.

I most definitely will give a first light report, I cant wait to have a real telescope!
  • Vondragonnoggin likes this

#10 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

That’s a nice little scope to learn the sky.

Visit the general observing forum, you could get many great advices starting a thread about " what’s in the sky tonight through a 4" refractor".

Edited by AxelB, 21 March 2019 - 07:55 PM.

• maknswarf likes this

#11 Jond105

Jond105

Vanguard

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

Nice pick up, double cluster in that nice wide field refractor will go great
  • stevew and maknswarf like this

#12 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

Nice pick up, double cluster in that nice wide field refractor will go great

Yeah I've looking at pics of star clusters from similar 4" refractors and they look amazing, I can't wait for tomorrow. Of course its going to be rainy and cloudy for the next couple day😢
  • Jond105 likes this

#13 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

Hello everyone! Super excited today as I just bought a Meade 102mm, it will be here tomorrow! I know its not the biggest and best but at the price and the dozens of overwhelmingly positive reviews I read, I decided to take the plunge.

This is my 1st real scope, I recieved a cheapo for Christmas, when I was 10, and could barely see Venus but that might've been my inexperience. Although it came "brand new" in a very sketchy box so who knows.

I've read the planets will be very clear, especially Jupiter and Saturn, with this scope along with bright stars and the Orion Nebula. What else should I try to find? Also how visible would VY Canis Majoris be in the winter?

All help will be greatly appreciated since I'm completely new at this and still trying to wrap my head around all the new terminology and math.

Thanks again and Clear Skies
Jay

Sally forth, and conquer the cosmos.

• The Luckster likes this

#14 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:34 AM

Sally forth, and conquer the cosmos.

Awww don't want to conquer them just want to know what they're doing up there😁
  • erin likes this

#15 knight_parn

knight_parn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Peterborough, UK

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:15 AM

Congrats on your new scope.

The Meade 102 comes with a basic Alt Az mount, so you will have to hunt down those objects on your list manually (part of the fun). If you're new to this hobby, a pocket-size star atlas would be very handy in helping you locate them. There are quite a few free ones available for your phones or you could pay very small amount for more sophisticated ones like Stellarium Mobile.

• maknswarf likes this

#16 kksmith

kksmith

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:40 AM

I cant wait I put the books on my wishlist my wallet is a little tight right now

I went this route to get my copy. It looked brand new when I received it. A great atlas in a nice spiral format. 

https://www.ebay.com...id=264235112461

Ken

• BFaucett and maknswarf like this

#17 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

Update, just got the scope today and its a beauty. I didnt have a whole lot of time before work, but since its so quick to assemble I had it together in less than 15 minutes.

I aimed it at a large house across the Chesapeake bay through the window of my apartment, since it was raining. With the naked eye the house was barely visible and a little elongated white blob but its almost 5 miles away according to google maps. With the 25mm ep I could count the windows! At 9mm I could almost see inside them😁

So far this has surpasses my expectations and the build quality seems pretty good the only thing that is loose is the quick adjustment handle but it settles quickly and offers very clean and stable image.

Ill update more when I do some actual nighttime seeing😁

Clear Skies to you all and thank you for all the advice.

#18 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

Congrats on your new scope.

The Meade 102 comes with a basic Alt Az mount, so you will have to hunt down those objects on your list manually (part of the fun). If you're new to this hobby, a pocket-size star atlas would be very handy in helping you locate them. There are quite a few free ones available for your phones or you could pay very small amount for more sophisticated ones like Stellarium Mobile.

I'd almost rather manually hunt for stuff, so I can learn the night sky. I plan on buying one of the pocket sky atlas but for right now I downloaded SkEye it has a dark mode as well so not to kill night vision.
  • stevew likes this

#19 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:34 PM

You will find the scope is pretty good,

but at higher powers, the mount will drive you crazy and bounce around.

But....under 80x, you will have a lot of great things to look at, and a lot of light..

If you think of improving, a great budget move would be to first

upgrade the mount. 

• maknswarf likes this

#20 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

You will find the scope is pretty good,
but at higher powers, the mount will drive you crazy and bounce around.
But....under 80x, you will have a lot of great things to look at, and a lot of light..

If you think of improving, a great budget move would be to first
upgrade the mount.

Which ones would you recommend? I don't mind spending a little bit more to have something more enjoyable to use.

#21 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

Congratulations on your new scope.

Post a picture when you get a chance.

Steve

• maknswarf likes this

#22 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:20 PM

Congratulations on your new scope.

Post a picture when you get a chance.

Steve

Here she is! Unless you mean a photo through the lens😁unfortunately its going to be cloudy the next couple of nights but I'm going to try and at least see the moon.

Edit: I didn't have a chance to put the finder on before work

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190322_163608_01.jpg

Edited by maknswarf, 22 March 2019 - 08:21 PM.

• stevew, elwaine, Vondragonnoggin and 1 other like this

#23 Ringo

Ringo

Explorer 1

• Loc: Williams, AZ

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

Brother, you already know I've got this exact scope OTA.  I love it at F/5.9.  Three baffles inside which contributes to surprisingly nice contrast for such an inexpensive 4 incher.  I also had the Celestron Omni AZ 102 and compared them side by side and I like this OTA better.  They both give same quality views (same on planets and Orion) and both have very good optics and coatings for their price but I just preferred the Meade's shorter tube and focal length along with the lighter weight front end dew shield.  Both are of the nicest of the beginner scopes but the Meade is cheaper and a very reasonable price at under 200 bones.  I got an Explore Scientific AR102 with the idea of selling my Meade Infinity OTA but I love it so much I'm keeping it.  A very nice Grab 'n Go Travel scope and light enough to use on whatever light weight mount you want.

Brother, I'd recommend whenever you get to the point you're ready to upgrade to a better more expensive scope (or different kind of scope), keep this one.   It's just a nice little lightweight scope for the money.  Hands down.

• maknswarf likes this

#24 maknswarf

maknswarf

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

Brother, you already know I've got this exact scope OTA. I love it at F/5.9. Three baffles inside which contributes to surprisingly nice contrast for such an inexpensive 4 incher. I also had the Celestron Omni AZ 102 and compared them side by side and I like this OTA better. They both give same quality views (same on planets and Orion) and both have very good optics and coatings for their price but I just preferred the Meade's shorter tube and focal length along with the lighter weight front end dew shield. Both are of the nicest of the beginner scopes but the Meade is cheaper and a very reasonable price at under 200 bones. I got an Explore Scientific AR102 with the idea of selling my Meade Infinity OTA but I love it so much I'm keeping it. A very nice Grab 'n Go Travel scope and light enough to use on whatever light weight mount you want.

Brother, I'd recommend whenever you get to the point you're ready to upgrade to a better more expensive scope (or different kind of scope), keep this one. It's just a nice little lightweight scope for the money. Hands down.

Definitely won't sell it😁 I'm a nostalgic kind a guy and I think it would be cool to have your 1st scope be a lifetime scope even when I get the bigger and better ones. Plus it just wouldn't be worth it to sell in the 1st place since it was so inexpensive to begin with.

Right now with a half an hour of shift left Im watching the moon peeking through the clouds, guess the girlfriend and I are going seeing tonight😁😁😁

Edited by maknswarf, 22 March 2019 - 09:19 PM.

#25 dejmal

dejmal

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

That is a good looking scope. I think 4" is the best all-around scope. Just upgrade that mount and eyepieces and you'll be set for years of observing.

• maknswarf likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics