•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using an OM lens with asi071mc pro?...Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pax2You

Pax2You

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

So I have three M42 film lenses that I've adapted to m4/3. I am planning on using them with my ASI071mc pro as well. They were a cinch to adapt to astro as m42 to t2 adapters are readily available and getting the spacing right wasn't too hard as I didn't have to figure in a filter wheel or OAG. I just got an awesome 90mm 2.8 Panagor macro lens that I'd love to use for astro as well. The catch is it is an OM mount lens. This presents a conundrum as to the easiest way to convert it to a t2 thread. I'd like to do this without having to stack adapters. Novoflex makes a OM to m39 adapter that would get me a thread to adapt to t2 and then space properly with t2 tubes, but it's not cheap and I'd have to source it somewhere in the US.

https://www.novoflex...9-gew.3408.html

A more complicated route would be an OM to EF adapter and then an EF to t2 adapter. The good ones (EF to t2 adapters) run $100 plus. Sigh. I checked and a custom adapter made through PreciseParts would run over $200. Anyone have a spare used Novoflex laying about? Or does anyone know an easier way to convert an OM mount to a threaded mount like M39 or M42? I will still be using this lens on my m4/3 camera and don't want to change the lens mount in any permanent fashion.

Thanks for the help and clear skies!

Edited by Pax2You, 21 March 2019 - 06:43 PM.

#2 Tony Finnerty

Tony Finnerty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, California

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

I have adapted the Olympus OM 300mm f/4/5 lens to the ASI1600 and ASI294 using ZWO's T2 to M43 adapter plus Olympus' OM Fourthirds adapter.  I already owned the latter, so this was my least expensive way to adapt an OM lens to an ASI camera.

#3 Pax2You

Pax2You

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience Tony. I almost went a similar route. I was looking at an OM to 4/3 adapter and some threaded macro extension 4/3 tubes to give me a thread to work with. In the end I was afraid the conversion to a 4/3 mount would lead to too much vignetting since the asi071 is aps-c. I was able to adapt that plan to a workable solution though. To adapt the OM lens to my asi071 I ordered 4 things.

1. OM to EOS mount adapter

2. EOS Macro extension tube set (5 pieces and gives me a 55mm thread to work with)

3. 55mm to 42mm step down ring

4. m42x1 male to m42x0.75 male adapter

This cost me just shy of $33 hamsterdance.gif

#4 Tony Finnerty

Tony Finnerty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, California

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

Good thing the OM mount has lots of backfocus compared to Micro Four Thirds, eh?  The price is right.  If you were willing to spend the money for custom parts, you could fit a filter drawer or maybe a wheel in there.

#5 Pax2You

Pax2You

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

True. 46mm is pretty generous...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics