•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY Polemaster In Lieu Of Guide Scope To Aid In Tracking?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheDoctorIsIn

TheDoctorIsIn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hi everyone, I read Astrobackyard's review of the polemaster and it seems like a nifty gadget and I'm wondering if it would be of any benefit to add to my rig. I'm using a WO Z61 with field flattener, Canon T6i (unmodded) and an Ioptron Skyguider Pro. I feel with the weight of the gear adding a guide scope and camera on the Z61 and dslr will just be too heavy. But right now I'm finding that I can't really go above 80s exposure when star trailing starts to be noticable. I don't expect to get 5+ minute exposures, but do you think getting spot on polar alignment with the polemaster could add 40 or 60 seconds to my exposures so that I could maybe go for 120s or 140s? I realize that canon's are super noisy but I probably won't be investing in a cooled camera in the near future, so figured I'd explore other options to improve my kit. Thanks!

#2 DuncanM

DuncanM

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

A lightweight guidescope/guidecamera will be about the same price and will be about the same weight.  You can then use it for PA via Sharpcap (Sharpcap 2.9 is still free) to the same, or better, accuracy than a PM and you can use it to autoguide your mount at the same time.

Here's an example:

https://www.telescop...60/p/116531.uts

Edited by DuncanM, 21 March 2019 - 10:03 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#3 TheDoctorIsIn

TheDoctorIsIn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:23 PM

A lightweight guidescope/guidecamera will beabout the same price and will be about the same weight.  You can then use it for PA via Sharpcap (Sharpcap 2.9 is still free) to the same, or better, accuracy than a PM and you can use it to autoguide your mount at the same time.

Here's an example:

https://www.telescop...60/p/116531.uts

Ohh interesting option... very light I see, about half a pound... I'm looking into guidescopes/cameras more now after your suggestion, and I'm wondering if you have any opions about a zwo 30mm guide scope and zwo ASI120MM camera? Ontario Telescope sells for $150 and $200 respectively, so $350 compared to Orion's guidescope at $480. Is either one acceptable and user friendly (for someone who has never done guiding)?

#4 DuncanM

DuncanM

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:37 PM

I have an ASI 120mm mini and it seems to work OK. I have a Altair Astro equivalent (GPCAM-1) and an Meade LPI-GM; all 3 cameras are just variations of the same hardware.

I'd rate them in this order:

GPCAM-1 (best)

120mm 

LPI-GM

Mainly because the Altair Astro ASCOM driver seems more robust and in these cameras drivers are the key to stability.  However even the Meade is quite stable using PHD2.

PHD2 has a bit of a learning curve but Sharpcap is quite intuitive.

My guess is that the ZWO 30mm guidescope is identical to the Orion.

Edited by DuncanM, 21 March 2019 - 07:56 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics