•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Duluthstar

Duluthstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

Just got back into astronomy and still learning the new to me rig I purchased (Orion 6” Mav-cas with synacan goto and sky view pro EQ mount)
Still waiting in a clear enoug night to get an accurate 3 star alignment, but would like to get the gps unit working.
I am not sure if the brand, no markings, but I believe it is Orion.
When I plug it in I do see the red light illuminate for second but that is it. It does not fill in the data at the set up and if I go into utility function for gps it does not see a unit.
I have updated the firmware on the paddle.
And suggestions or anything I am overlooking?

#2 MCinAZ

MCinAZ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

For the receiver to determine an initial fix, you should leave it powered under as much open sky as possible so that it can "see" as many satellites as possible. Depending upon the quality of the receiver, antenna and satellite visibility, it could take anywhere from a few minutes to perhaps the better part of an hour to synchronize its internal clock and find its position. If the unit has an internal battery to store ephemeris data, it should recover at power-on much more quickly thereafter so long as it isn't transported more than a few hundred km.

If you haven't already, I would recommend that you set the mount with GPS receiver outside, power it all on then give it some time. The LED may blink once per second or illuminate steadily once a fix has been determined. Until then, the GPS may not transmit any data. Whether it does or not depends upon the internal firmware.

#3 Duluthstar

Duluthstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:51 PM

Thanks I will try to leave it in longer and see what happens. Will also see it there is possibly a firmware update the gps needs if that can actually be updated. The whole package I purchased had not been used for about 10 years.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics