•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk LW - lightweight binoculars

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

Interesting. I find the 16x70s to be the most comfortable binoculars that I own ...

But my eyes are quite the opposite of deep set, and the bridge of my nose is quite thin. That could explain it.

Yes, this is a well-known fact about the Fujinon 16x70s. Many, probably even most observers have no trouble with them. But there is a very large segment of the community for whom "nose relief" -- the popular term for this problem -- is a serious concern. I'm probably near the extreme end of that spectrum.

For me, the effective apparent field of view of the Fujinon 16x70s, when I hold them as close as I can without actually damaging myself, is about 35 degrees. No, I am not exaggerating; I actually measured it. The irony is that the whole purpose of those fat eyepieces is to achieve a wide field of view.

The moral of this is that binocular preferences are intensely personal. As far as I'm concerned, fit and feel are the very most important qualities of all for any pair of binoculars -- at least assuming that the binoculars meet a reasonable minimum standard for optical and mechanical quality. And no two people are even remotely comparable where binocular fit and feel are concerned -- there are just too many different variables to quantify. So the only way to find out if you'll like a given pair of binoculars is to try them.

• Mr. Bill likes this

#27 cNumb

cNumb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find some information about the light transmission characteristics of the Oberwerk binoculars such as the Deluxe or Ultra series

#28 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find some information about the light transmission characteristics of the Oberwerk binoculars such as the Deluxe or Ultra series

Quality Porros like Fujinon FMTs are claiming 96% transmission.  I'd imagine the Obie binoculars, if using high quality modern coatings as claimed, would be in that mid-90s ballpark as well.  Good control of internal reflections and where that light ends up relative to your eye is important, too.   wink.gif   

Rich

• cNumb likes this

#29 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

I don't know anyone who has measured it. But I can assure you from direct experience that they both have very high light transmission; you can see it at the eyepiece. So do the Lightweights, for that matter.

Losing 5% or 10% here or there makes very little difference.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics