•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Computer recommendations for EQG (Sirius)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 B. Hebert

B. Hebert

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

My Dell laptop is getting long in disk drive (that is an attempt at a "long in the tooth" joke) and I should start eying a new field computer.

I have been getting along nicely with my Dell XP/converted to Windows 7 notebook, but it is ancient.

For shutter control I have been using the serial port and Stark DSLR Shutter.  Serial ports are becoming antique-ish though.

I haven't had any trouble with my powered 7 port USB hub.  I am assuming that I can plug everything into a Windows 10 computer (with proper drivers and the latest EQMOD versions) and keep on shootin.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Yes, this is more computer forum stuff, but mount compatibility is foremost my concern...

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:08 AM

Almost any current laptop will work. I'd look for one with a docking station that includes a true serial port. Many of yhe Lenovo Thinkpads meet this criteria. An alternative is to get one of the specialty fanless computers intended for industrial or harsh condition environments. These either have or can be ordered with serial ports. A Win10 computer needs at least 8g of memory. Make sure that you don't get one with 8g of memory that dedicates 4g to the video card. An I-5 Intel processor or similar AMD cpu has enough horsepower to also support basic image processing. 

Good luck with ypor search.

• B. Hebert likes this

#3 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Not much of a PC is required to drive a mount with a planetarium program, Ascom, EQMOD, guide, plate solve and capture images.

With my Atlas mount, I used a Stick PC till it died and then moved up to a Mini-PC. I have also used my low end Windows Tablet PC.

Since your in Southern California, I would suggest you go to your local Fry's and just see whats on sale.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics