•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cord Binding During Slew - Now PHD calibration fails!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FloridaObserver

FloridaObserver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Myers, FL

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:43 PM

I had a power cord bind my CGEM mount during a slew and had to manually release the clutches.  Now I get the dreaded star failed to move in RA error during PHD calibration.

Any suggestions?  Is it possible I need open the mount to ensure the worm and gear are properly seated?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Does it slew to and track objects OK?  Do the slews sound normal?  Check the cords going to your auto-guider.  Can you post the PHD Guide log files.

EDIT - Is there an increase of RA backlash?

Edited by Jim Waters, 21 March 2019 - 10:02 PM.

#3 FloridaObserver

FloridaObserver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Does it slew to and track objects OK?  Do the slews sound normal?  Check the cords going to your auto-guider.  Can you post the PHD Guide log files.

EDIT - Is there an increase of RA backlash?

Tracking/slewing works fine, and sound the same as before.  Backlash also seems the same.  I’ll have to post the guide log tomorrow.

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:40 PM

See the link below.

https://openphdguidi...g/getting-help/

Post the logs there and ask for help.

One more question.  Does the RA Clutch still work? 

#5 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:04 AM

I'm wondering if the events scrambled the controller's mind a bit.  I presume you've power cycled the mount / hand controller.  Maybe try a complete reset (back to factory settings)?

My Nexstar controller got confused one night while aligning it, and after that it refused to come even close to where it should have gone during subsequent alignment attempts.  Like, off by a quarter of the sky not close, even after power cycling.  A complete reset of the controller fixed the issue.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:02 AM

Are you trying to calibrate on an object near the pole by any chance? That's one reason why RA might not move enough. 

If the handcontrol can nudge the mount, so should PhD2. 

Power-cycle the mount, start from scratch. Assuming you pulse guide, try calibrating on a star near meridian and equator. 

#7 FloridaObserver

FloridaObserver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:01 AM

Are you trying to calibrate on an object near the pole by any chance? That's one reason why RA might not move enough. 

If the handcontrol can nudge the mount, so should PhD2. 

Power-cycle the mount, start from scratch. Assuming you pulse guide, try calibrating on a star near meridian and equator.

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions.  I'm using ASCOM for the mount, and attempted to recalibrate near the equator.  Everything else seems to be in the original working order, and guiding was even working great for a short time after the binding event.  

I'll try posting at the link provided by Jim. 

Here is the link to last night's log:  https://openphdguidi...2_logs_PW36.zip

I've also attached the calibration info that was working up until the slew event.

Attached Thumbnails

• Review Calibration .jpg

Edited by FloridaObserver, 22 March 2019 - 07:36 AM.

• Jim Waters and elmiko like this

#8 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

It’s just me, but I’d check my USB guide cable first. Did you try swapping it out?

#9 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Vanguard

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:16 PM

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions.  I'm using ASCOM for the mount, and attempted to recalibrate near the equator.  Everything else seems to be in the original working order, and guiding was even working great for a short time after the binding event.  

I'll try posting at the link provided by Jim. 

Here is the link to last night's log:  https://openphdguidi...2_logs_PW36.zip

I've also attached the calibration info that was working up until the slew event.

If you get a reply from the PHD Guide developers get back to us with an update.

#10 FloridaObserver

FloridaObserver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

If you get a reply from the PHD Guide developers get back to us with an update.

Bruce Waddington replied with his opinion that it's not related to a damaged cord (given that I attempted recalibrating using ASCOM and the ST4 port).  So, my best guess is that some binding in the RA gear occurred, so went ahead and reset the gear with the worm.  The proof is when it gets dark in an hour.  Will let you know.

#11 FloridaObserver

FloridaObserver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:51 PM

It's all good now, so it looks like the problem was gear binding.  Here is the log after a fresh calibration using ASCOM.  About as good as can be expected for an old CGEM.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

https://openphdguidi...2_logs_1x7z.zip

• AhBok likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics