•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Light pollution filters for 2019

equipment LP
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 feygan

feygan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm having a hard time deciding and comparing light pollution filters and I thought maybe you guys might share your experiences with them.

I regularly shoot from class 6 Bortle and occasionally from class 3-4 Bortle, mostly dso with a stock mirrorless camera (sony a6300). I plan to upgrade the camera in the future (either mod it or buy a dedicated astrophotography one)

I've made some research and these are the filters that I am considering (all in 2" size):

Optolong L-PRO ~ 160 Euro

Astronomik CLS ~ 170 Euro

Baader Moon & Skyglow ~ 130 Euro

IDAS LPS-D2 ~ 200 Euro

Are there any other good broadband light pollution filters? Which one would you choose if you were to buy one now?

Thanks!

Edited by feygan, 22 March 2019 - 08:31 AM.

• Thaeland likes this

#2 mxpwr

mxpwr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

I have used the astronomik CLS:
-works fine with normal lenses, but you get a lot of chromatic aberrations if you shoot below F4 (red star glow)
- with a SCT and focal reducer, there are no visible chromatic aberrations, but you might get some nasty reflections of very bright stars
  • feygan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics