•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where can I buy a Losmandy GM8 tripod coupler?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

I am trying to attach a Celestron G9 mount to a Losmandy tripod. Does anyone know where I can purchase the tripod coupler? Without the coupler, I don’t think I can make this happen. Any guidance would be appreciated. 

#2 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

Have you visited Losmandy.com?

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

The word is adapter.  If my quick internet search gave correct history it should connect to either the Losmandy G8 tripod or the HD or the newer versions.  

If something changed between the Celestron years and later, you should talk to the shop.  Be sure you specify you have a Losmandy Celestron era G9 so everyone is clear that you're trying to connect a Losmandy product to a Losmandy product.  

GN

#4 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

I have checked Losmandy.com. The coupler attaches the mount to the tripod adapter. Losmandy sells a coupler for the AZ8 but I can't find anything go the GM8. I will call Losmandy to see if they can help.

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

The G9 comes with a unique adapter that mates it to a slightly modified CG5/GP tripod. This unique adapter can also mount the G9 on a HD SCT tripod, which is what I did when I bought a CG-9.25 back in the 90's. Its very solid on that mount, and you can pickup a Meade SCT tripod for around $100-$150 used. And the SCT tripod is superior in this case to the Losmandy LW tripod but not the G11 tripod. I put my G9 + SCT tripod on a JMI Wheelie Bar and just rolled it out of my garage when I wanted to use it.

Edited by photoracer18, 26 March 2019 - 05:15 PM.

• shaesavage likes this

#6 YAOG

YAOG

Viking 1

• Loc: SoCal of course!

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

I am trying to attach a Celestron G9 mount to a Losmandy tripod. Does anyone know where I can purchase the tripod coupler? Without the coupler, I don’t think I can make this happen. Any guidance would be appreciated. 

The Celestron G9 mount was just a Losmandy GM8. Check in with Losmandy but it should mount directly to any GM8/G11 mount with the usual 3 button headed cap screws or Losmandy accessory TKS knobs.  

Chip

#7 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

The G9 comes with a unique adapter that mates it to a slightly modified CG5/GP tripod. This unique adapter can also mount the G9 on a HD SCT tripod, which is what I did when I bought a CG-9.25 back in the 90's. Its very solid on that mount, and you can pickup a Meade SCT tripod for around $100-$150 used. And the SCT tripod is superior in this case to the Losmandy LW tripod but not the G11 tripod. I put my G9 + SCT tripod on a JMI Wheelie Bar and just rolled it out of my garage when I wanted to use it.

Thanks for this info. I have a Meade Standard Field Tripod, the G9 adapter almost matches up perfectly....but the hole placement is about 1mm off frown.gif. I will look for an HD SCT tripod.

#8 YAOG

YAOG

Viking 1

• Loc: SoCal of course!

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for this info. I have a Meade Standard Field Tripod, the G9 adapter almost matches up perfectly....but the hole placement is about 1mm off frown.gif. I will look for an HD SCT tripod.

I use a Losmandy MA (Meade Adapter) on top of an original 1992 Meade LX200 tripod, the one with the E-clip that retains the center screw. I bought a large soft touch knob and drilled and tapped a couple of holes in the tripod where the existing recessed holes in the MA are. This retains the MA to the tripod when the center screw is loosened and the tripod is collapsed for travel/storage. This is a much better more portable tripod than the standard Losmandy HD tripod I used to use. 

Chip

#9 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

You don't need the HD tripod just the standard one as I forgot something I had to do.
While the Meade tripod may look similar to the Celestron it is not mounted the same. You mount it on the Meade tripod using the center bolt only not the three holes spaced on top. This is how the MA adapter is used also. Three bolts on a Celestron tripod and the center bolt only on the Meade tripod.
If you want to use the G9 adapter on a Meade tripod you need to drill out the threads on one equally spaced set of 3 holes of the 6 on top of the Meade tripod. That will then match the threaded holes on the G9 adapter.Then you insert the correct thread bolts from the underside of the Meade tripod head and bolt the G9 adapter down from below that way. Before I did that I mounted the Meade center-shaft by putting a nut on the top in the top cavity so that when I used the nut to screw on the spreader it would tighten up. Then the G9 bolts to the adapter with the 2 Losmandy type bolts and the pin for the azimuth adapter goes in that slot in the adapter. Then I made a bracket using a U-bolt to mount the Losmandy controller on one of the legs.

Edited by photoracer18, 28 March 2019 - 06:14 PM.

• shaesavage likes this

#10 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:15 PM

You don't need the HD tripod just the standard one as I forgot something I had to do.
While the Meade tripod may look similar to the Celestron it is not mounted the same. You mount it on the Meade tripod using the center bolt only not the three holes spaced on top. This is how the MA adapter is used also. Three bolts on a Celestron tripod and the center bolt only on the Meade tripod.
If you want to use the G9 adapter on a Meade tripod you need to drill out the threads on one equally spaced set of 3 holes of the 6 on top of the Meade tripod. That will then match the threaded holes on the G9 adapter.Then you insert the correct thread bolts from the underside of the Meade tripod head and bolt the G9 adapter down from below that way. Before I did that I mounted the Meade center-shaft by putting a nut on the top in the top cavity so that when I used the nut to screw on the spreader it would tighten up. Then the G9 bolts to the adapter with the 2 Losmandy type bolts and the pin for the azimuth adapter goes in that slot in the adapter. Then I made a bracket using a U-bolt to mount the Losmandy controller on one of the legs.

You just saved me some money, thank you!

#11 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

I use a Losmandy MA (Meade Adapter) on top of an original 1992 Meade LX200 tripod, the one with the E-clip that retains the center screw. I bought a large soft touch knob and drilled and tapped a couple of holes in the tripod where the existing recessed holes in the MA are. This retains the MA to the tripod when the center screw is loosened and the tripod is collapsed for travel/storage. This is a much better more portable tripod than the standard Losmandy HD tripod I used to use. 

Chip

You can't use the MA adapter on a G9 because it lacks the lower piece that has the side-mounted holes like the GM-8 or G11. However there is a secret way to retain the MA adapter on the Meade tripod depending on what era MA adapter you have. Some have only the center hole and some have a lot of adapter holes. If you have the one with lots of holes loosen the Meade center nut and rotate the MA adapter until the outer most set of 3 holes in the MA adapter, the ones that actually appear to be cut into the sides of the adapter wall, line up with a set of holes on top of the Meade tripod. Then insert a set of 3 Meade wedge bolts from the bottom of the tripod head until they come thru the bottom of the MA adapter and wedge themselves against its inner wall. Then you can tighten the Meade centerbolt and loosen it at will and the MA will not come off the tripod.

Edited by photoracer18, 28 March 2019 - 06:24 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics