•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are Orion triplets not as good as other brands in the same price range?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 cattom1985

cattom1985

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:49 PM

Hi, there, I am a beginner in astrophotography and I use Orion telescopes. I have an ED80T and an EON 115ED. People in my club keep telling me that Orion triplets are not as good as other brands, such as Explore Scientific and Astrotech. They recommend me to get telescope from these brands. I searched online but cannot find any photos validating that. So is it for real or is just a myth? Has anyone done side by side comparison between Orion and other brands in terms of photography pls?

Many thanks!

#2 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

No side by side here but if I had them I would just use them and ignore their comments. The best is what you have and use.  ;)

Peace...

• Jon Isaacs, punk35, Mark Costello and 9 others like this

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

To me... every price bracket is pretty similar... a new $400 scope is pretty representative of the same size/style as another $400 scope...

This is not true if talking new vs pre-owned

• CounterWeight likes this

#4 Berny

Berny

Mariner 2

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Take a look through other peoples scopes if you can, and make up you own mind.

• Jim Waters likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

I think your scopes are just fine.

The Eon 115 ED is very similar to the AstroTech 115EDT, very likely they are made at the same factory to the same specs.  

The Orion 80 triplet is a fine scope with an FPL-53 based objective, that is about as good as it gets..

Just use them, enjoy them.

jon

• BRCoz and havasman like this

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Within a given price class you won't find major differences. In the Chinese imports, in many cases you'll be looking at identical instruments from the same manufacturer offered by various resellers under various brand names.,

• Jon Isaacs, Mr. Mike and BFaucett like this

#7 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

My experience with Orion scopes is some are over priced, as other have mentioned other vendors including our host Astronomics sells the same scopes for substantially less. 

#8 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

The AT115T IS the Orion Eon 115ED.  Same manufacturer, same glass, different logo.  The sad part is my Orion Eon 120mm ED DOUBLET has better color correction than an AT115T TRIPLET that I have tested.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#9 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

Within a given price class you won't find major differences. In the Chinese imports, in many cases you'll be looking at identical instruments from the same manufacturer offered by various resellers under various brand names.,

Most of the time the differences will be in the accessories like the focuser, finder, rings, whats included, etc.  That being said, the prices can vary somewhat.  Im sure my ES triplet is sold under various other names but I got a good one so Im happy.  Orion scopes are genrally just fine though.

#10 bobito

bobito

Apollo

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:14 PM

...People in my club keep telling me that Orion triplets are not as good as other brands...

My guess is that at some point somebody in your club bought an Orion scope that was a lemon and dogma ensued.

• Doug Culbertson, Heywood, mountain monk and 3 others like this

#11 sg6

sg6

Aurora

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

Nothing will be wrong with your scope, ignore whoever is saying anything.

So many are sourced from a common source that your "Orion" will somewhere be badged as another.

Decide in about 5 years time if you need to change scopes and then what you may need to change to. Until then the 2 scopes you have will be more then adaquate

Are there any other clubs in your area?

• jcj380 likes this

#12 barbie

barbie

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

I'd find a different club!!  Folks who play the "mine is better than your's" game are simply not worth being around because they are simply armchair astronomers who parrot what others have said to them about various different brands of telescopes and other subjects of which it is highly likely they have no idea of what they are talking about!!

Edited by barbie, 22 March 2019 - 03:53 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, gfeulner, Heywood and 5 others like this

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Aurora

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

Orion has somewhat of a reputation for being a little overpriced. So it isn’t so much that your scope isn’t as good as the others, it is likely the exact same scope in some instances. But you might have saved some money buying from someone else. Since you have already spent the money, it is a moot point, so just enjoy your scopes.

Scott

#14 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

I agree with all the above. 

A caveat for imaging though, as it seems to have driven the market for past years.  One thing that imaging likes is the best quality focuser possible for the sensor load.  Not such a big deal for visual and most ep's not near as heavy.  I owned the Orion ED80T CF for a while and was imaging with it, the focuser would probably be fine with a smaller load than I was trying (an SBIG 8300M w/FW8 and a reducer / flattener).  Now I did end up eventually sticking with a Tak FSQ-85 for the long game but even that scope has it's detractors when it comes to the focuser. Optically it did excel over other scopes I tried and the difference was noticeable.

Good news, well, sort of good news, is you can buy and adapt a better focuser to many scopes if you want to spend the money.  One scope the focuser I bought (a motorized MoonLite) was almost as expensive as the scope.  This creates resell issues about recouping the cost on less expensive brands.

Edited by CounterWeight, 22 March 2019 - 09:55 PM.

#15 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hi, there, I am a beginner in astrophotography and I use Orion telescopes. I have an ED80T and an EON 115ED. People in my club keep telling me that Orion triplets are not as good as other brands, such as Explore Scientific and Astrotech. They recommend me to get telescope from these brands. I searched online but cannot find any photos validating that. So is it for real or is just a myth? Has anyone done side by side comparison between Orion and other brands in terms of photography pls?

Many thanks!

Are you happy with your scopes?  The Orion scopes I have owned have been good performers.  

Jmd 

#16 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

No side by side here but if I had them I would just use them and ignore their comments. The best is what you have and use.  wink.gif

Peace...

the best is what is paid for

• Jon Isaacs, mountain monk and jcj380 like this

#17 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:52 PM

Decide in about 5 years time if you need to change scopes and then what you may need to change to. Until then the 2 scopes you have will be more then adaquate

Are there any other clubs in your area?

He can change in six months if he has the cash and is curious about what else is out there.  But he shouldn't change just because other people tell him to, if he's happy with the performance.  

Anyhow, as to this:

Most of the time the differences will be in the accessories like the focuser, finder, rings, whats included, etc.  That being said, the prices can vary somewhat.  Im sure my ES triplet is sold under various other names but I got a good one so Im happy.  Orion scopes are genrally just fine though.

Differences in the focuser are pretty criticaL people routinely pay $650 for a premium focuser to handle photography, binoviewing, solar, what have you.  "Accessories" are not just another thing.  And with budget scopes like the ED80 there are going to be compromises on the accessories.  But that's part of what having a scope like that is all about.  It teaches you what you'd like in the next scope.  And if it meets our needs totally and you can't see why anyone would want anything else, so much the better.  In that case it's a true bargain.  

• Mr. Mike likes this

#18 Simon B

Simon B

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:15 PM

It's funny that they used 'Explore Scientific' and 'Astrotech' as top brands that would beat Orion.....

They source their optics from China/Taiwan, just like ES and AT...  If you're going to boast about brands to suggest over Orion, I'd have thought Televue, Takahashi, and Astro-Physics would be the way to go

• gfeulner, havasman and BFaucett like this

#19 Simon B

Simon B

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:40 PM

Also, the sheer vagueness of saying 'ES and AT are better than Orion' suggests they don't know what they're talking about, since there are so many different models, at different price points, from different sources.

Which scope are they comparing to which scope to come to that conclusion?

Orion ED80 (FPL-53 doublet) vs AT80ED (older FPL-51 doublet) vs ES ED80T (FCD-100)?

Orion ED80T vs AT80EDT vs ES ED80T (FCD-1)?

Orion Express 80?

Orion EON ED-X2 85?

If you're happy with the Orion ED80T, that's all that matters : )  On paper it's a very good scope anyway, it's an FPL-53 triplet - I wouldn't worry about it  : )

• BFaucett likes this

#20 Heywood

Heywood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: At Stars' End

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:37 AM

The great thing about Orion is its return policy.  The last time I checked, one could return any item for any reason, within 30 days.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#21 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:43 AM

If your scopes perform well - keep them, use them and don't worry about it.

My previous Orion ED80 had really good optics.

• Mark Costello and Gabby76 like this

#22 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

It's funny that they used 'Explore Scientific' and 'Astrotech' as top brands that would beat Orion.....

They source their optics from China/Taiwan, just like ES and AT...  If you're going to boast about brands to suggest over Orion, I'd have thought Televue, Takahashi, and Astro-Physics would be the way to go

Actually I was grouping them mostly together since they are sourced from a lot of the same places.  That doesn’t mean that there can’t or won’t be some differences here and there though.  If there weren’t then why not just have one brand? ES has the best warranty, hands down.  That’s worth something to buyers, IMO.  Astrotech is our sponsor.  Stellarvue and William optics are other great brands.  Skywatcher has their own touches too.  All are quality products these days. Same for Orion, I think.

No doubt those other brands are an upgrade but they ought to be at 4x the cost.  Plus, go ahead and get your name on an Astro physics waiting list....you’ll grow old and possibly blind buy the time you actually get it. ;)

#23 AxelB

AxelB

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:26 AM

It’s not only about the brand and where they source the optic, it’s about grades and QA and general attention to workmanship. One exemple of chinese sourced quality optic is the new SVX line of Stellarvue refractors. Well, it’s not entirely made in china, they finish the job in California. Read the description: https://www.stellarv...plet-refractor/

You usually get what you pay for. As much as I like ES, their refractors still just have a "diffraction limited" specification. A quarter wave lens is not that impressive at high magnification but it’s cheap. Also in manufacturing, not all lense blank comes out the same. The best almost perfect ones get sold as a higher grade. Those with tiny imperfections get sold for cheap scopes. That’s how businesses make money.

Edited by AxelB, 23 March 2019 - 08:34 AM.

#24 starryhtx

starryhtx

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

The AT115T IS the Orion Eon 115ED. Same manufacturer, same glass, different logo. The sad part is my Orion Eon 120mm ED DOUBLET has better color correction than an AT115T TRIPLET that I have tested.

Wow. That’s an astonishing claim!

#25 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

No doubt those other brands are an upgrade but they ought to be at 4x the cost. Plus, go ahead and get your name on an Astro physics waiting list....you’ll grow old and possibly blind buy the time you actually get it. wink.gif

Yes thinking of AP as an available brand is a bit problematic. They come up used though.

Brands don't symbolize quality any more in many cases and often so in astronomy. I bought a home model Bunn-o-matic coffee maker for $75 thinking here was a company that knows a thing or two about brewing drip coffee. I worked in restaurants and was in awe of the speed and dependability of Bunn. But it was the worst coffee maker I've owned. I picked it up after a few months and threw it in the trash.

I've had the $20 Black and Decker for five or six years. In my mind they have NOTHING to do with kitchen appliances. But reliably produces a good drip brew.

You really need to know the contractor behind the brand. That's not easy. I avoid mainland products when I can but I have seen some good kit.

Edited by gnowellsct, 23 March 2019 - 02:56 PM.

• Mr. Mike likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics