•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary set recommendation with good ER

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

I am looking for a new set to use mainly for planetary viewing. My two scopes I use BVs on are a 14" f/4.6 Dob and 127mm f/7.5 refractor. My BVs are Earthwins with a power switch for 1.2x, 1.9x, and 2.4x.

I am thinking a 9-13mm EP should cover the range well for planetary. My main caveat is that I can't stand looking through short eye relief EPs, so that rules a lot out in this FL range. To me a good minimum is 15mm eye relief.

As of right now my forerunner is the TV Delite 11mm. Can I do better in terms of sharpness and contrast with anything else, while also keeping an ER of near or above 15mm? 

#2 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

As of right now my forerunner is the TV Delite 11mm. Can I do better in terms of sharpness and contrast with anything else, while also keeping an ER of near or above 15mm? 

No

#3 silv

silv

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:33 AM

Your signature says "2x ES 8.8mm 82°".  They have a stated ER of 15.6mm. 

May I ask how you would describe your experience with them, barlowed, on planets, pros and cons? 

#4 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

Your signature says "2x ES 8.8mm 82°".  They have a stated ER of 15.6mm. 

May I ask how you would describe your experience with them, barlowed, on planets, pros and cons? 

Yeah I have some pairs of the ES. I really haven't gotten to use them much as I got them at the end of planetary season last year. It's more a matter of ergonomics with them. They have tapered barrels with poor tolerances that get really thin at the top and the BV has trouble gripping them. They are quite difficult to get to merge for this reason. I tried wrapping some tape around the top but it is not much of a solution. If it was possible to replace with a straight barrel I imagine they would work well, but it seems more effort than it's worth. It's for this reason I want to replace them with something else. When I can get them to merge they are nice view, but they are frustrating. I had better luck with this on the 24mm 68s, maybe just because it's a wider view and any merging issues don't show as much.

Edited by jtrezzo, 23 March 2019 - 02:31 PM.

• silv likes this

#5 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

My main caveat is that I can't stand looking through short eye relief EPs, so that rules a lot out in this FL range.

I used to be the same way. Perhaps from the abysmal eyepieces that came with my Jason 454x Explorer some 45 years ago. Who knows. But the dislike stayed with me for a very long time.

Mostly I observed DSO's and thought my Naglers and Ethos were giving me excellent good planetary views too. On a whim I bought a planetary eyepiece and learned planetary views could indeed be better. Hated the short eye relief, but the improvement was enough to give it a chance.

Getting over it taught me two things:

1) It wasn't that hard to acclimate to shorter eye reliefs, it just took persistence; and

2) My selection of eyepieces was dramatically improved.

These days no problem at all to go from a long ER eyepiece to a short one. Don't even think twice about it.

The good news for you is with a 2.4x option, you don't really have to go ultra-short on an ortho or similar.

Edited by Jeff Morgan, 23 March 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#6 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

Baader Morpheus are ideal for binoviewing, with great eye relief and are a fraction of the price of Televue or Pentax, and every bit as good optically.

#7 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:18 PM

Baader Morpheus are ideal for binoviewing, with great eye relief and are a fraction of the price of Televue or Pentax, and every bit as good optically.

I have looked at the Morpheus, haven't tried any yet though. Have you compared to a DeLite? They are about the same price. 

I used to be the same way. Perhaps from the abysmal eyepieces that came with my Jason 454x Explorer some 45 years ago. Who knows. But the dislike stayed with me for a very long time.

Mostly I observed DSO's and thought my Naglers and Ethos were giving me excellent good planetary views too. On a whim I bought a planetary eyepiece and learned planetary views could indeed be better. Hated the short eye relief, but the improvement was enough to give it a chance.

Getting over it taught me two things:

1) It wasn't that hard to acclimate to shorter eye reliefs, it just took persistence; and

2) My selection of eyepieces was dramatically improved.

These days no problem at all to go from a long ER eyepiece to a short one. Don't even think twice about it.

The good news for you is with a 2.4x option, you don't really have to go ultra-short on an ortho or similar.

Well I have considered trying a short ER pair to see if it is really worth the trouble to acclimate to them. Any recommendations on a good one that might not be as painful to move to? I've heard good things about the Tak LE and Abbe 12.5mm, which are 9 and 10mm ER. I was looking at them but the ER was worrying me. Would these perform better than the DeLite if theoretically I can get past my fear of short ER?

#8 Kunama  Happy Birthday!

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:12 PM

When considering eyepieces for binoviewing it is important to consider the diameter of the eyecup as well as the ER.

Using the larger eyepieces like Delos, XW, and Delite for binoviewing I needed every mm of their 20mm ER yet with the Tak LE and Abbe, with their smaller diameter eyecups, 10mm to 12mm is enough.

I like the LEs, so much so that I now have 5 pairs of them for binoviewing, either in the Zeiss BV or my Tak binoscope.   I also have the Pentax XF8.5 and 12mm pairs.

I think the Pentax XF8.5mm is one of the most underrated eyepieces on the market. Great eye relief as well as a very sharp view across its 62º field..... probably my favourite bino eyepiece.

Edited by Kunama, 23 March 2019 - 11:15 PM.

#9 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:32 AM

When considering eyepieces for binoviewing it is important to consider the diameter of the eyecup as well as the ER.

Using the larger eyepieces like Delos, XW, and Delite for binoviewing I needed every mm of their 20mm ER yet with the Tak LE and Abbe, with their smaller diameter eyecups, 10mm to 12mm is enough.

I like the LEs, so much so that I now have 5 pairs of them for binoviewing, either in the Zeiss BV or my Tak binoscope.   I also have the Pentax XF8.5 and 12mm pairs.

I think the Pentax XF8.5mm is one of the most underrated eyepieces on the market. Great eye relief as well as a very sharp view across its 62º field..... probably my favourite bino eyepiece.

Interesting that you write this, as I was JUST looking at those Pentax XF 12mm before I read your post. I'm very tempted to grab them while they are on sale. You're right the wide barrels is definitely a concern, and a big problem with the ES I have now, especially the 24mm. My IPD is only 65mm. Do you use the Pentax with a powerswitch/barlow/OCS? That's what I'd be doing to effectively get 10mm, 6.3mm, and 5mm with my Earthwin BV powerswitch. The 8.5mm would probably be too much mag to be usable. 

#10 Kunama  Happy Birthday!

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:59 AM

The XF12 eyepiece displays some field curvature so it is scope dependent.  The 8.5 is much flatter.

Perhaps someone here is using the 12s in a scope like yours and can comment more.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics