•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommend a good, durable RACI Finder

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 tomykay

tomykay

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

I ask here as a last resort. I have searched for days, on this forum and elsewhere. But I can't find anything that seems worth the investment.

Can anyone suggest a nice Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder? Less than $150 preferably. 

Thanks!

Edited by tomykay, 22 March 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#2 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

I ask here as a last resort. I have searched for days, on this forum and elsewhere. But I can't find anything that seems worth the investment.

Can anyone suggest a nice Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder? Less than $200 preferably. 

Thanks!

Have you looked at Stellarvue?

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

Can anyone suggest a nice Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder? Less than $150 preferably. 

Thanks!

What are you looking for?  What don't you like about the Orion and GSO RACI 50 mm finders?

I have both, they're decent.

I also have a StellarVue 50 mm RACI fitted with a 24 mm TV Wide Field modified with cross hairs. It's my favorite finder. Agena Astro sells what I think is the same finder under the APM label. Both are over $150.

Jon

• Sarkikos likes this

#4 tomykay

tomykay

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

Have you looked at Stellarvue?

No. I just took a look. Seems nice. Sky and Telescope liked it.  Has mostly positive reviews. I like it.

It it all aluminum? Another finder I liked has a critical part in plastic, and for some it broke there.

Thanks!

#5 tomykay

tomykay

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

What are you looking for?  What don't you like about the Orion and GSO RACI 50 mm finders?

I have both, they're decent.

I also have a StellarVue 50 mm RACI fitted with a 24 mm TV Wide Field modified with cross hairs. It's my favorite finder. Agena Astro sells what I think is the same finder under the APM label. Both are over $150.

Jon

Orion's 50 mm RACI has numerous quality complaints on Amazon. Several arrived broken or were easily broken.  It doesn't look like a part I can easily make myself.  

I found several positive reviews of the SGO. Can't say anything bad about it.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

Honestly:

Amazon is not the place for scope ratings. The Orion RACI finders have been around for years.. They're good finders, no different than the GSOs.. 

Jon

• Sarkikos and BFaucett like this

#7 Will_S

Will_S

Vostok 1

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:28 PM

It's relatively big and heavy, but the Astrotech 10x50 finderscope is a definite step up optically from the GSO/Orion options. It's $139 but you'll need a bracket too. You might be able to find a good one for less than the AstroTech bracket costs.  https://www.astronom...ack-finish.html

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

No. I just took a look. Seems nice. Sky and Telescope liked it.  Has mostly positive reviews. I like it.

It it all aluminum? Another finder I liked has a critical part in plastic, and for some it broke there.

Thanks!

I have a stellarvue, all aluminum, heavy duty and the folks at stellarvue are most accommodating.

#9 FeynmanFan

FeynmanFan

Viking 1

• Loc: N Colo front range

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:46 PM

Ditto on the Stellarvue. I’ve had one for years, it’s well made mechanically and optically, and will no doubt outlast me.
  • homerdt likes this

#10 tomykay

tomykay

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:20 AM

Okay, I'm sold on the Stellarvue. Now I must decide 50mm or 60mm. :)

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:29 AM

Okay, I'm sold on the Stellarvue. Now I must decide 50mm or 60mm. smile.gif

Based on what I've seen posted here and with my experience/measurements with the APM version, the 50 mm is a full 50 mm, the 60 mm is only 55 mm.

Jon

• Sarkikos likes this

#12 bumm

bumm

Vanguard

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:10 AM

I'm VERY happy with my 50mm Stellarvue.  Somehow I do need an illuminator for the reticle, which I never seemed to need with my older University Optics RA finder, but a cheap one serves me nicely.  Must be a finer reticle...

Marty

#13 Will_S

Will_S

Vostok 1

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:25 PM

My Stellarvue 60mm measures a bit more than 55mm on the flashlight test, but not quite the full 60mm.  It also won't quite focus at infinity (at least for my eyes, but I think I have pretty good long-range vision) with the stock eyepiece.  I'd recommend the 50mm too, that's what I'd get if doing it over.

#14 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

I have the Orion 9x50 RACI finder on my EON 120. I’ve not had any issues with it at all. No QA problems upon arrival. The alignment does shift a little every now and then. But I take it off the scope every time I put the scope in its case. It is easy to realign by turning two screws. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

I'm VERY happy with my 50mm Stellarvue.  Somehow I do need an illuminator for the reticle, which I never seemed to need with my older University Optics RA finder, but a cheap one serves me nicely.  Must be a finer reticle...

Marty

Marty:

I made new Cross hairs for the stock SV eyepiece as well as adding Cross hairs to a 24 mm TV Wide field. 

I used 0.004" hard brass wire.  It's very stiff so getting them straight was easy.  They're easy to see under the darkest skies.  They are probably larger than is optimal but not by much. .

No illuminator needed. 

Jon

• bumm likes this

#16 bumm

bumm

Vanguard

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Marty:

I made new Cross hairs for the stock SV eyepiece as well as adding Cross hairs to a 24 mm TV Wide field. 

I used 0.004" hard brass wire.  It's very stiff so getting them straight was easy.  They're easy to see under the darkest skies.  They are probably larger than is optimal but not by much. .

No illuminator needed. 

Jon

Sounds like a plan...  I really don't like that illuminator sticking out of there...  and one more "battery thing..."

Marty

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

Sounds like a plan...  I really don't like that illuminator sticking out of there...  and one more "battery thing..."

Marty

:waytogo:

Illuminators tend to be bright even on the dimmest setting and there can be scatter.

Jon

#18 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

The Celestron RACIF works fine for my CPC 800.

Bruce

• Heywood and chdr like this

#19 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

I have had two Orion 9X50 RACI's in the past and have been very happy with them.

I currently have the Astro-Tech 8X50 RACI sold by our hosts Astronomics and I am very happy with it as well.  No complaints and it does exactly what it is expected to do.

https://www.astronom...e.html?___SID=U

• Jon Isaacs and Sarkikos like this

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

I have had two Orion 9X50 RACI's in the past and have been very happy with them.

I currently have the Astro-Tech 8X50 RACI sold by our hosts Astronomics and I am very happy with it as well.  No complaints and it does evactly what it is expected to do.

https://www.astronom...e.html?___SID=U

I believe this is the GSO finder.  I have one and it's a good finder. If my memory is correct, I measured the TFoV at 5.6 degrees, could have been 5.4 degrees..   

Jon

• Scott Beith likes this

#21 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:52 PM

I also recommend the Stellarvue 50mm or 60mm with either Stellarvue or ADM rings. I use my 60mm across all of my scopes and will usually use a given scope for a given season of objects. I *HATE* needing to align the finder each time I use the scope. And Celestron, Orion, et al. use that bloody O ring and tension screw which all but guarantees loss of alignment when you look at it meanly. With the SV (and my other finder which is the Explore Scientific RACI) I am able to remove the finder then put it back on without losing alignment because it uses set screws in six points of contact instead of the cheap spring tension screw to keep alignment. The SV is also one of if not the lightest RACI out there.

Yes, aligning each time isn’t hard but why do it if I don’t have to? One less thing to futz with.

#22 tomykay

tomykay

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:25 AM

>I'd recommend the 50mm too, that's what I'd get if doing it over.

Just what I needed to hear! Thanks!
  • homerdt likes this

#23 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

I also recommend the Stellarvue 50mm or 60mm with either Stellarvue or ADM rings. I use my 60mm across all of my scopes and will usually use a given scope for a given season of objects. I *HATE* needing to align the finder each time I use the scope. And Celestron, Orion, et al. use that bloody O ring and tension screw which all but guarantees loss of alignment when you look at it meanly.

If one is swapping a finder between scopes, perfect alignment will normally require at least a slight tweak. 

As far as finders with the Oring and two screws plus a spring.  What I do is drill and tap an 8-32 hole next to the spring assembly and install a nylon thumbscrew. It's a 5 minute job and solves the problem.

I do prefer the 50 mm SV finder because with the 24 mm TV WF,  it provides a 6.8 degree TFoV that's reasonably well corrected. I like the helical focuser and the ability to rotate the eyepiece so the cross hairs are properly aligned with the altitude and azimuth axes of the scope.

Since I'm a 100% star hopper, I depend heavily on my finders. The GSO and Orion's are actually quite good but the SV is better. 

Interchangeable eyepieces also allows me to use deep sky filters and higher magnifications when it's appropriate.  The thing is a nice little Richest Field Scope so objects like the Veil

and the north American are quite stunning..

Jon

• SteveG, Sarkikos and bumm like this

#24 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

There's also this:

https://williamoptic...erecting-finder

#25 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:09 PM

Oooo, I like that, would look good on my WO scope...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics