•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

issues with SkyFi III using COM2TCP

accessories cassegrain Celestron equipment planetarium software SCT
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

I was was out last night testing my SkyFi III with my laptop using Stellarium and Starry Night Pro attempting to use a Wireless Connection using the Astro Geeks program COM2TCP. I originally thought it was the SkyFi III device but now I believe there is some kind of bug (don't know where the bug is maybe COM2TCP). So I start up COM2TCP and I get the right green light which means it connected to the IP Port 4030. I then start up Starry Night or Stellarium and I connect just fine using one of my available COM Ports. I do a few successful slews to some objects and it works fine. But after a few times, either Starry Night or Stellarium can no longer slew to objects and the programs hang. I then go out to COM2TCP and the left green light is off which means the connection has been severed to the COM Port. I then go into Drivers and I see that the COM port no longer exists ! I try to restart COM2TCP but it no longer lists the COM port for me to choose from. A reboot of my PC seems to solve the problem but if I try it again, the connection drops in COM2TCP after a few slews.

So I am not sure where the problem is? Do I need to open a problem with Astro Geeks in regards to COM2TCP?

I tired Sky Safari Pro using SkyFi III on my IPAD using a wireless connection and everything works great so I don't believe this is a SkyFi III issue but either a PC issue or COM2TCP. I also did a 'wired' connection directly from my laptop USB port to the hand control using the Prolific Drivers and it also works fine but I would prefer to use a wireless solution which is why I bought the COM2TCP program. 

Edited by sandconp, 22 March 2019 - 05:15 PM.

#2 ssantia

ssantia

Sputnik

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

This is how I got my SkyFi working with Starry Night on Windows 10:

https://support.simu...SkyFi-Windows- 

Sam

#3 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:34 AM

Just post here and I'm sure Andre or Ray will help you out:

https://ca.groups.ya...ations/messages

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#4 sandconp

sandconp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

I am working Ray at Astrogeeks to try and help me troubleshoot the problem.  It’s not that I don’t get s connection it’s when I start to slew around is when the COM ports drop.  I am also working with Simulation Curriculum to see it it’s related to the SkyFI III device.

#5 sandconp

sandconp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

I did some more research and solved the problem. There is a Power Save mode within the WiFI card and I un-checked the option ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’. The WIFI signal was being dropped with the option turned on.

#6 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:11 AM

Battery savers are a common problem, particularly with Android tablets. Inactivity between controller device and scope such as when pausing to look through an eyepiece means these kick in and cause a disconnect. They typically get loaded with operating system upgrades and bloatware as vendors employ them so they can claim greater battery longevity. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, cassegrain, Celestron, equipment, planetarium software, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics