•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HA BLOCKING FILTER REPLACEMENT

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:08 PM

wish to replace the meade filter with a maier filter

thank you very much meade my blocking filter has a dab of glue holding the retainer ring - anyone else have this glue issue & how did you  remove it ??

if i get the retainer ring off is it then that i need to use the spanner to get the filter out -  if the retainer ring it out then is it not just an issue of turning the bf up side down for the filter to fall out ?? dont understand where  these holes come into the issue & if they are behind the filter what do they have to do with removing the filter if the filter is in front of the holes -

not clear to me how does the filter come out once the ring is removed ?

what do the holes do ?

=======================

anyways it was a screw up with meade from the start & it continues - looks like someone took a brillo pad to the corner of front surface of the etelon & my retailer would not deal with it so meade would not  - does not matter as their tech support has been the pits even before i received the unit - bought it a month before lunt went public what a shame -  i wound up with the first batch from mexico.

better to buy lunt now - bought their cak 2" filter direct without the toronto retailer  - awesome cak images - my rant for the nite

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#2 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

seems the maier filter is for 5 & 10 blocking filters - anyone replaced a bf 15 ??

#3 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:29 PM

Gday AstroTruck

ref

https://www.cloudyni...h-coronado-pst/

The holes just allow you to remove the cell holder from the barrel.

You need to unscrew the thin retainer ring inside the barrel to get the filter out ( it just drops out.)

The glue just falls off with a gentle prod :-)

Note, the internal retainer is threaded slightly off square so that when the filter is in place, it is slightly tilted to reduce reflections.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#4 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

my blocking filter is for an etelon  not pst - wonder if the set up internally  in the 2 blocking filter for etelon & pst are same ??

#5 ch-viladrich

ch-viladrich

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Beware the Maier filter is an ITF and not a blocking filter :

http://maierphotonic...passfilter.aspx

So I guess you want to change your ITF because it is oxydized ?

#6 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

my bf 15 is ok so far-  but slightly fainter than originally 5 years ago - no rust just fainter so lining up to replace the itf but seems the maier itf is for only bf5 &bf 10 -

now not sure what to do - sending it to meade to replace at my cost as it is not a rust issue may not be cost efficient so may need to buy a lunt but maybe cant mix a meade etelon with a lunt bf - seems a post on this in past but cant find it -

anyone changed a maier  itf  for a meade bf15 ??

#7 vincentv

vincentv

Vostok 1

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:19 AM

Take it out, measure with calipers and contact maier. Its very likely the same size. Beloptik's replacement fits everything from the pst to the BF15, they also offer a larger model for the bf30.

#8 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

when i spoke with maier in past he would not commit to the 10 & 15 being same size as he was not familiar with the 16 only the 5 & 10.

please elaborate on the order of getting at that filter -

remove glue then what how do i unscrew the ring then what -

when i remove the ring then is the cell exposed holding the filter ? what is the barrel & what is it doing if the ring allows access to the filter in the cell ?

thanks

#9 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:21 AM

Yes, the Maier ITF fits a BF15, it's the same size in all units apart from the BF30.

The glue will just pick off, it's a rubberised silicone based substance.

#10 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

once i remove the glue how do i remove the ring & then what ? whats the order ?

#11 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

Just unscrew it, tip the old filter out, put new filter in according to direction instructions and then screw the retaining ring back in.

#12 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

is it the spanner that unscrews the ring via those holes ? - i see no holes when i look at the  ring - seems i am missing something ?

thanks for your continued support -

#13 vincentv

vincentv

Vostok 1

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

Adding a picture or two would help everyone understand what you're seeing. It's not a complex procedure, you'll be able to get it done as soon as you identify the pieces.

#14 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Viking 1

• Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:43 PM

The ITFs are the same size. The retainer can be unscrewed with a chisel or even a piece of steel banding used to strap loads to pallets if you don't have a spanner wrench, there are two grooves machined into the retainer. In a pinch you may be able to remove it with a screwdriver but it's a little tricky.

The Maier is a drop-in replacement and mine have held up for years.

Clear skies,
Bill

#15 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:57 AM

Heya,

The ITF drops in, shiny side towards where sunlight would come through, red side towards user end. Rubber grommet drops on top of it. Threaded ring goes down over rubber grommet.

I just replaced my ITF on a PST. Not sure what scope you're doing this to. But I can take pictures if you need to see it if it's similar?

Very best,

#16 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:05 PM

need a photo of a spanner - hardware store had nothing that looked like something that would attach or insert  to any holes

#17 JREnglar

JREnglar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:55 PM

need a photo of a spanner - hardware store had nothing that looked like something that would attach or insert  to any holes

If I understand your question correctly you need something called an “lens spanner wrench” or a “camera lens spanner wrench” or various other names. Do a search on Amazon.com and you’ll find a lot of them (not particularly expensive - around $20). They come with a variety of tips including bladed, pointed, and half bladed. Amazon is where I ordered mine from as no one had them locally. 

JRE

#18 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

Stock photo
Neewer Professional Curved Tips DSLR Camera Lens Spanner Wrench Repairing Tool
+
$12.99Brand New

Free Shipping

EBAY

Edited by Toddeo, 08 April 2019 - 08:19 AM.

#19 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

THANKS GUYS

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics