•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thor's helmet in HGO

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:50 PM

It took me a while to process this image because I was shooting it very low above the horizon so the seeing was not the best and I had to use a lot of deconvolution and sharpening to get an acceptable result.  

Instead of more commonly used H and O mix with synthetic green channel, I decided to add real Green channel.

Technical details and better quality image are available under:

https://www.astrobin...396895/?nc=user

Comments and Criticism are welcome!

Alex

Attached Thumbnails

• ThorsHelmetSmall.jpg

• TimN, psandelle, elmiko and 12 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

It looks...a little...artificial...like a computer-generated piece of sky-inspired fantasy artwork.

But the colors are all nice, quite soothing to look at actually. There's something a bit dreamy about it. smile.gif

#3 ks__observer

ks__observer

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

The green really adds a new dimension of detail.

#4 Kaos

Kaos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

If I may make a suggestion, you overdid the deconvolution and left a lot of artifacts. you need to apply a luminance mask when running deconvolution (and cut back on it some) to protect the background. I had similar issues when running my data. I was having color issues when trying to do the SHO palette. Ultimately, I had to do the color in SOO and use the Ha as the lum. I only did the deconvolution on the Ha as doing it on the color channels added to the artifacts. See my image at https://www.astrobin...394726/?nc=user. You will note there are no BG artifacts and that is due to the lum mask. I also did not sharpen as that also added artifacts. Try the masked deconvolution and running noise reduction in PI after that. Granted, my images is comprised of almost 23 hours of data and it was not clear how many hours you had. You may also want to try creating a super Lum file and doing the deconvolution and lum detail work on that and then adding it to the color image. It also appears purple on my monitor. But, all in all, I think you may have some decent data though, especially under the circumstances you acquired it.

Kaos

#5 mike8888

mike8888

Viking 1

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:21 PM

I don’t believe I ever seen this object with these color tones - and I love it! Very surreal. 

#6 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

Astroman007, ks__observer, Kaos, Mike,

Many thanks for your feedback and appreciation!

Kaos,

Totally agree with your points. I got tired and frustrated with processing this image so decided to do something I normally don't do - deconvolution of color, non-linear data without brightness mask  foreheadslap.gif.  I have about 20 hours of data but it is from red zone right above the glow of NYC. I used super lum which is comprised of an equal mix of O and H.  Looks like I need to do some reprocessing.

Alex

#7 elmiko

elmiko

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

Awesome image. Looks like the cosmic Octopus!

Mike

#8 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:37 PM

Low over the horizon indeen less than 25 degrees. Good job!!

#9 morten

morten

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

Dear Alex

There is a lot of data in this image, and also a lot of detail. I worked with this object myself, and it is difficult because of its low altitude (in my location it never gets above 20 degrees). To my taste, the colors in your image is a bit weak, particularly the red channel. I enhanced it by removing the stars from the red channel and add it back in by pixelmath in PI. You have better data and more detail than I was able to get. Your colors might be more natural, it is only a suggestion to give them more power.

https://www.astrobin...336710/?nc=user

Morten

#10 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

Morten,Steve,Mike,

Thank you for comments!

Looks like something happened to my monitor calibration so my previous processing attempt was totally wrong. I fixed the calibration and spent some more time processing. I also learned a couple of new things for me about deconvolution.

Here is the result:

https://www.astrobin...al=&nc=avarakin

This is the previous attempt:

https://www.astrobin...al=&nc=avarakin

I hope you like the new version better!

Alex

Attached Thumbnails

• ThorsHelmetSmall.jpg

Edited by avarakin, 29 March 2019 - 10:52 PM.

#11 Kaos

Kaos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:17 PM

Better....You are almost there. There are some star issues now. I think you need to create a better star mask. You really have to play with the sliders to get as many stars as you can. Sometimes you need to create two and combine them (one that captures the larger stars and one that captures the smaller stars) using pix math. Once you have a better star mask, you need to play with the Global Dark setting under Deringing and you may also need to move the Local amount slider as well. You can run deconvolution on some previews until you find the right combination so you do not create star artifacts (e.g. pinching the centers too much and over blurring the edges etc.).

As far as the colors are concerned, you can run the color mask script and use the various color masks (and their inverse) to soften, brighten or make other worthwhile color adjustments.

Kaos

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics