•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RASA8 Starzonia filter drawer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 james101

james101

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Scarborough QLD Australia

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

So I just got a filter drawer for my RASA8. I have noticed the total thickness of the unit is actually 19.5mm. This is 1mm more than actually required for ZWO cameras, which requires 18.5mm + 6.5mm camera backspace for 25mm Toal.

Can anyone confirm their Starzonia filter drawer total thickness is 19.5mm ?

#2 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

Yep, unfortunately there is no filter drawer that will work with the RASA at the moment. Baader did have a demo of one that might work with certain configurations like yours at Cedic so I would email them.

#3 james101

james101

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

This one is designed specifically for the RASA8, but only ZWO 6.5mm backspace cameras work.

Anyway they got back to me about it. Apparently they designed it to be 1mm longer as your meant to leave the stock glass filter in place and when combined with the 2mm filter needs this backspace
  • George N likes this

#4 lucutes

lucutes

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western Canada

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

This guy doesn't seem to have any issues with it.

https://youtu.be/iq7ptJlkmXc

#5 gomezdb

gomezdb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, AB

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

Which filter slider did you get, the standard or the new one designed for the RASA 8? My understanding is that Starizona modified the standard filter slider by replacing the camera side backplate and added a 1mm spacer to ensure it meets the required backspace of the ASI cameras. Also, it should have a little bolt to be able to pull the filter draw.

More information here: https://www.highpoin...cameras-sfs-zwo

Good luck,

Diego

#6 james101

james101

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

Yes the RASA8 slider with the little brass knob and m48 to M42 adapted with the integrated 1mm spacer. I haven't tested it with the stock glass plate in yet. It appears the 1mm extra spacing is optimal for a 3mm thick filter. I use Baader that are 2mm thick and Astronomik are only 1mm, which should have less spacing of 0.3mm. if it were me I would of used only a 0.5mm spacer which at least is close enough to all of these and allows for use of shims. But when I get some pics I'll let you know if the stock spacing of 1mm works.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics