•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX90 Drive Training OTA Angle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 imk

imk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK North West

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:43 PM

Hello,

I am having a RA tracking issue and wondering is it is due to me training the drives with the OTA horizontal?.

I have a new audiostar hbx with firmware A4S1 and have been thru the setup/training/motor calibration three time now and still the same problem.

So i was reading the book again and it says "Use a terrestrial object such as telephone pole/lamp post" .which are generally upwards.

Well I used a tall factory chimney about a mile away that is in the valley hence my OTA was horizontal.

Should i have the OTA point upwards during Drive Training say at 45 deg?

Many thanks imk

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:08 AM

gday imk

For DEC training,you can use any OTA angle.

For RA training, the DEC tube should be as close to DEC/Alt = zero as you can ( ie 90deg to RA axle ).

Meade completely changed the way tracking gets done in the later firmwares

which is one of the reasons i suggest staying with A1F7 for the LX90s.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#3 imk

imk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:24 AM

Andrew,

Many thanks for the posts, it is couple of days before next clear sky here so will be then before i have new test results.

BTW is down or has moved? http://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

Thanks again for your help

#4 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:36 AM

Gday imk

No idea re his site

I have emailed him to let him know, so will wait and see.

#5 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:02 AM

Hello,

I am having a RA tracking issue and wondering is it is due to me training the drives with the OTA horizontal?.

I have a new audiostar hbx with firmware A4S1 and have been thru the setup/training/motor calibration three time now and still the same problem.

So i was reading the book again and it says "Use a terrestrial object such as telephone pole/lamp post" .which are generally upwards.

Well I used a tall factory chimney about a mile away that is in the valley hence my OTA was horizontal.

Should i have the OTA point upwards during Drive Training say at 45 deg?

Many thanks imk

Hi imk I take it that you have decided to upgrade to a wedge?

#6 imk

imk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:18 AM

Hi imk I take it that you have decided to upgrade to a wedge?

Piet,

Yes I am considering a wedge, but have a strange RA tracking problem at this time, detail of which you can find in another thread.

As you will see i had/have an older flaky AutoStar hbx and from memory i think it RA tracked was better than this new AudioStar.

But last time i had a clear sky, i did not have presence of mind to re-test with the AutoStar and when i thought of it the skies clouded up.

Hence, plan is to get up at 0300 sunday morning to re-test with the old autostar and if tracking is better then it must be issue with way i have setup this new audiostar.

I have read much in several astro forum in past week and it seems like these meade hdx's have a few undocumented features that may have caused my audiostar not to RA track at all.

So when i have the basics all working as expected i'll go wedge shopping.

We await some stars, wish me luck imk :-)

#7 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:45 AM

Gday imk

I have read much in several astro forum in past week and it seems like these meade hdx's have a few undocumented features that may have caused my audiostar not to RA track at all.

Just for info, there are 2 ways to track in polar and 2 ways in AltAz

ie In Polar, you can track using a std sidereal rate, or you can work out the now vs Now + 30second positions

and work out a tracking rate from that. ( ie a pseudo king rate calc )

For AltAz its the same, you can create differential equations to convert polar tracking

to equivalent Alt/Az rates, or use the now vs 30 seconds from now to come up with rates.

A1F7 in polar just uses a std tracking rate

The later firmwares use the delta Alt/Az rates, so can give different results, esp if they use the wrong motor commands to apply the speeds ( as the LX600s do )

All good fun

#8 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:15 AM

To prevent confusion : When using Azimuth mode your two drives are the Azimuth and Altitude drives (Az/Alt) and in Polar mode with a wedge, your two drives are the Right ascension and Declination drives (Ra/Dec).

• M57Guy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics