•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M3 was "M"-azing!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chrysalis

chrysalis

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Central NC

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:58 AM

Long (for me) session last night, magical... see post here:

https://www.cloudyni...e-this-weekend/

I can't say enough though about the last object of the night, M3. All winter we have just M79. Anyway, after gorging my senses on all of the objects in the linked post, I ended with M3, which was remarkable under the super transparent clear skies here. The last think I did last night before coming in after 2+ hours was revisit M3 once it was much higher up and used the set of ES 82* EPs I have. It was great in all magnifications, but special mention goes to the 4.7 mm, last EP of the night, where the magnificent ball of stars glided through while filling 1/5-1/4 of the field. I think I really like using high powers on nights of good seeing on GCs to enjoy the spectacular resolution many give and the sheer majesty and grandeur of how they look under those conditions.

Went to bed a happy camper ;) !!

• rustynpp, Procyon, bumm and 9 others like this

#2 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

Great!  I know the feeling when we look at a "familiar" object at ease, on a special night, and discover its deep beauty for the first time... with our 12" dob I like most of the "big" globs at high power - you may not get it all in the field, but the core and surroundings are dazzling when you can resolve pinpoint stars right across them...

Now I'll have to give M3 some quality time in my next good session.  I only glimpsed it once this year, just making sure it was still there on an average night.

• chrysalis, Augustus and maknswarf like this

#3 Groundhog

Groundhog

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:55 PM

I just took a brief look at M3 last night, myself, b/c I had read some folks discussing it here on Cloudy Nights.  I'm pretty new to Deep Sky observing because I live in the middle of a very light-polluted city.  A few months ago I bought a Revolution Imager in a last-ditch attempt to get back something, ANYthing in the deep sky.  It works!  I've been looking at all kinds of stuff and having a lot of fun at it.  It even inspired me to start (again) keeping an observing journal.  I really like ending my night, as you did, with something that I know will probably be an easy target that makes me smile and say "wow."  Last night, that was M3!

#4 jayrome

jayrome

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

M3 was one of many DSO I checked out this past Tuesday. Very beautiful, I just recently got a 10" dob and I drove out of town a little ways (class 4 bortle only 30 minutes drive from where I live) M3 is nice, I only have a 26mm 2 inch eyepiece for my scope at the moment, need to get a barlow lens or another eyepiece and viewing this object would have been incredible. Even as is, I could just barely make out so many thousands of stars.

Other objects I was happy to find: M51 - Whirlpool Galaxy, The Leo Triplet, Beehive cluster, Orion Nebula (check my sig for the link to my blog; there is my crappy pic I took with my phone lol) Double-cluser in Perseus ...

Guys, don't forget these coming nights if you do check out M3, also check out the asteroid Pallas which is fairly easy to find a bit west of Arcturus.

cheers!

Edited by jayrome, 29 March 2019 - 01:52 PM.

• Groundhog likes this

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:48 PM

M3 is one of my favorite globs. It really explodes with stars at a dark site and even 8" of aperture. 

#6 alexantos

alexantos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Estoril, PT (White Zone)

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:57 PM

This is how I saw M3 from my place, on the 10th of march, with a 8" reflector.

If where I live, with heavy light pollution I can see M3 like a cotton ball, I can Imagine how it will look on a dark sky.

It must truly be a wonder...

#7 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

Nice.  I viewed it last night in my 102ED.  I caught M53 as well.  Even got my first look at M13 for the year too. 

#8 bertandlaville

bertandlaville

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: marseille / france

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

Hi All,

The interest of M3 is that it is in CVn. Thus it goes very high in the sky, and can escape a bit from pollution.

Here is how I saw it in a good sky of southern french Alps (NELM 6.5v, SQMZ 21.6), and also some other ones.

http://www.deepsky-d...-013/dsdlang/fr

Clear skies

Bertrand

http://www.deepsky-drawings.com

Attached Thumbnails

• M 3  T254  BL 1999 04 10 & 2002 05 15.jpg

• jeffmac likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics