•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Falling in love with my C-8/E again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

Although the rest of my other 2 scopes remain up north at my full time residence (near Chicago), I have just this month moved my C-8/E on it's Ioptron AZ Pro mount, an original set of Q70 Orion and my TV 8mm Etho's ep's down to the south of Tucson area where my parent's reside and I often visit now (not enough space to store my 15" dob hereundecided.gif ). When the skies and wind finally cooperated a couple of nights ago I was greeted to the stunning beauty of our galaxy. I bought a used Celestron binoviewer, and a new pair of Meade HD60/25mm ep's for it (the BV came with a set of unmatched15mm) and am trying to learn how to use it. I have also just ordered a Baader sct adaptor, star diag and 2"-1.25" adaptor (I never liked the Celestron threaded diag, a real pain to change position). I suspect I will be keeping a couple of my TV ep's in my luggage when I fly this way. Now I'm glad I didn't sell the setup. I never knew how good this ota could be. I was able to observe targets (planetary nebula, etc) not visible up north. M42 and 45 were just stunning (glad now I had bought the Edge focal reducer) along with other clusters. Now I need to get up early morning to see Jupiter and Saturn.

Anyway it's nice to fall in love again.

• 3 i Guy, nirvanix, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#2 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:14 AM

It’s easy to crush on the C8E, it’s a fantastic scope. Congrats on rekindling the romance. Now go out and buy her that 17 ethos she longs for!

mark

#3 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

Already have a E17 and N31 at home. Will pack them on future tripswaytogo.gif 

#4 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

What is a C8E?  I am not familiar with that.  Thanks.

#5 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

What is a C8E?  I am not familiar with that.  Thanks.

It’s the C8 edge but I was too lazy to type it out.

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

Oh, OK.  I have one of those too.  Very nice scope!

• gnowellsct likes this

#7 Mike G.

Mike G.

Apollo

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

last summer I bought an old C8 (smooth back, XLT starbright coatings, sometime around the '90's vintage) that was kinda beat cosmetically but the price was right so I picked it up, never having owned a 8" cat before.  it continually amazes me with what it can do.  saturday night we had pretty clear skies so I had it out early cooling down then once it got dark went to work and was duly rewarded.  for the first time ever, I was able to see the dust lane in M82 - Wonderous!  with a 22T4, M42 went edge to edge of the EP and the detail in the nebula was amazing.  with the 12mm T4, E and F were easily found.  what a bargain these scopes are!

• photonhunter, Heywood and gnowellsct like this

#8 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Soyuz

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

A C8 (XLT or EdgeHD) is a superb scope and much underappreciated. Over the past 20+ years many scopes have come and gone (premium refractors, large dobs etc.) but I have always had a C8. The balance between aperture/capability, size and weight is unmatched - probably single handedly responsible for keeping me in the hobby even during times when life's priorities took me in different directions.

These days I use my C8 with my M2C mount w/ encoders on a Manfrotto 028 tripod - Weighing in at just ~25lbs and super compact It is my most used setup by far.

• gnowellsct likes this

#9 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:57 PM

Not an edge but I like posting the picture.  Old OTA with 2015 optics.

cff on c8 - 2. - cn.jpg

#10 photonhunter

photonhunter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

I had this beauty since my Father gave it up when it got to heavy for him.  Celestar C-8 Deluxe Computerized - 1998 vintage.  Properly collimated it give superb views when configured for visual observing. Unfortunately the main mirror is out of collimation for Fastar mode so its restricted to F/10 viewing and photography at the moment.

Celestron C8 small.jpg  

Edited by photonhunter, 26 March 2019 - 10:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics