•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Imaging w/ Celestron Focus Motor & RASA 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:52 AM

Please do not move this to the equipment forum.  This is intended for the imaging community.

With that said, I have some really good news for people that have either bought the Celestron Focus Motor, or those that plan to. The first iteration of the ASCOM driver had a big problem with exceptions being thrown, the driver going comatose, and it largely being unusable for imaging. On 3/22, after I opened a support ticket and worked with Celestron on the problem, they released a new ASCOM Driver, that I am happy to have tested tonight. The new driver is working wonderfully. I ran a full Voyager V Curve, with absolutely no problems on my RASA 8 F2 scope. For those not familiar with Voyager (or FocusMax for that matter) the V Curve action runs on a single very bright star, and uses very short exposures and thus very fast movements of the focusing motor, and completely models the focuser throughout various movement sizes, etc. With the release driver I would get about 25% through a curve build and get nothing but ASCOM Exceptions. With the 3/22 release driver all of those problems are gone. 

Not only does it build a curve well, it focuses the RASA 8 at F2, perfectly. There is some slight amount of shift in the star images that is present, far less than before, so that is something to be aware of. So far though, this evening, the Celestron Focusing Motor, is working great. While I had a ton of reservations about this motor and its accuracy; I would now move this piece of gear, from an imaging perspective, into the realm of highly recommended for those with Celestron Telescopes it is compatible with (sorry 9.25" owners). 

So in closing if you bought one and tossed it on the junk pile, pick it off and get the new driver. If you were on the fence about this focuser, it seems to be working very, very well now! smile.gif

Edited by rockstarbill, 25 March 2019 - 03:06 AM.

• Vassar1978, davidparks and djdoud like this

#2 44maurer

44maurer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I’ve had one on order for several months (for the 11” RASA).

#3 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I’ve had one on order for several months (for the 11” RASA).

You can buy one right now from my friends in Seattle at CBO, that is where I got mine from. :)

https://cloudbreakop...nd-edgehd-94155

Edited by rockstarbill, 25 March 2019 - 03:15 AM.

#4 geothomas

geothomas

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Huntsville, Alabama

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping to get it out tomorrow night and run it thru its first paces.

#5 Vassar1978

Vassar1978

Mariner 2

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:59 AM

Congrats Bill, glad you got this working with Voyager.  

This combo (RASA 8, inexpensive focuser, OSC) seems like a nice alternative to Hyperstar on an SCT.  

Looking forward to your images!

Cheers,

Rowland

• rockstarbill likes this

#6 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

I tried the ASCOM driver tonight on my C11" EdgeHD and got nothing but error messages when trying to connect it with SGP and PRISM.  One error is that no COM Port numbers are in the box to select.  The utility program worked fine.  My Moonlite motor focuser works fine on the same Windows 10 laptop so it must be the driver.  Any suggestions as to what it could be?  I uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice.  

#7 caseyfinn

caseyfinn

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: West Texas

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM

I had a problem with my stellarmate device running indi/ekos/kstars at first but once the minimum and maximum positions were determined (with Celestron's utility) my software took over and no problems since then. It seems like the focuser remembers the max and min values and will pass them on to the software. Or maybe your software needs to calibrate the focuser? Good luck

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics