•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some vintage 1980's pics...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:14 AM

From a box of prints I found in my garage, some time ago. These are scans from pictures I made in the 1980's. Those were the days...

All pictures were taken using a LOMO Biolam microscope, a LOMO CA-2 photo tube and an Olympus OM-1 camera. Film stock was either Agfapan 25 or Ilford Pan F.

These aren't great pictures (most are horrible) but hey: that's what I did then...

Paramecia in conjugation, from a thriving culture, home made permanent slide, stained with alcoholic boraxcarmine. Notice several micro nuclei in the process of division visible:

IMG_0006_430x600.jpg

Paramecium, amitosis, from a thriving culture, home made permanent slide, stained with alcoholic boraxcarmine:

IMG_0008.jpg

Live Vorticella alike critter, experiment with home made microflash equipment:

IMG_0007_441x600.jpg

Live spirogyra sp., conjugation and zygote formation, a few diatoms visible:

IMG_0014_800x568.jpg

Live Arcella sp.:

IMG_0015_705x600.jpg

Live Haematococcus pluvialis:

IMG_0017_375x600.jpg

Pediastrum species, home made permanent slide. Slides were immersed in a pond for a few days, collected, fixed and stained with iron haematoxylin:

IMG_0009_534x600.jpg

Hydra sp., showing ovaria and testes, home made permanent slide stained with alcoholic boraxcarmine:

Hydra_640x442.jpg

Live Vorticella sp., using improvised darkfield illumination. A slide projector was used as a microscope illuminator:

V_640x454.jpg

• Deep13, jmclaugh2001, marsbase and 2 others like this

#2 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:33 AM

From spore to fungus. Penicillium spores were put on a slide in diluted grape juice solidified with a trace of gelatin. Slides were put in a wet chamber. Every 8 hours a slide was fixed and stained with iron haematoxylin:

IMG_0011_348x600.jpg

Live onion cell with vacuole clearly visible. I made this one as an illustration for a kid's biology notes:

IMG_0004.jpg

Stinging nettle's (Urtica sp.) stinging hair:

IMG_0005_401x600.jpg

Decaying statoplast from a Plumatella species. Notice fungal hyphae growing inside:

IMG_0017_640x452.jpg

• Deep13, Starman27, jmclaugh2001 and 3 others like this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:41 AM

Those are very nice! I took a lot of pictures thru the microscope back in the 1950s, when I was a kid. Mostly gutter and pond water things. I processed them in the bathroom and they actually came out gratifyingly nice. I have microscopes now and keep intending to get back into that, nice adjunct to astronomy. With the better instruments and digital cameras... it would feel easy, compared with the difficulties at the telescopes. I'm surprised that more amateur astronomers don't ~naturally~ include microscopy in their avocationals.    Tom

#4 NGC704

NGC704

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: League City, Texas

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

Great post! I have a closet full of OM-1 gear, if that tells you anything. Gosh I love digital photography!

#5 Microscopy

Microscopy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Thank you!

A few more and that will be about it:

First experiments involving rotary microtomy and paraffin sections: a section through a dandelion flower bud, stained with Heidenhein's iron hamaoxylin:

IMG_0001_434x600.jpg

Another early experiment on rotary microtomy and paraffin sections: a section through a garlic or onion root tip, stained with Heidenhein's iron haematoxylin as well.

Notice several stages of mitosis' prophase visible in the image: degradation of the nucleolus, formation of chromatin treads within the nucleus, condensation of the chromatin treads into chromosomes. Also notice metaphase with spindle figure and replication of chromosomes clearly visible in the cell in the centre of the image: 

IMG_0016-3.jpg

Another experiment with home made micro-flash equipment: live Euplotes sp.:

Euplotes_640x476.jpg

Some fabric photographed using low and medium power achromats, no eyepiece. The sample of fabric was put on a small circular disk of black paper on a slide. Light was deliverd from underneath by a slide projector and projected onto the fabric using a reflector from a torch:

IMG_0014_325x480-2.jpg IMG_0015_314x480-2.jpg

Pine wood decaying due to being attacked by "wood worm". Picture basically made the same way as the ones of the fabric above:

IMG_0002_440x600.jpg

Live cyanobacteria, probably Nostoc sp.:

N_640x343.jpg

Pond water sample stained using a modified Ziehl-Neelsen AFB protocol. Notice endospores in many bacteria and poorly stained "dead" bacteria, so-called "ghost cells":

IMG_0016.jpg

Live Spirogyra sp.. Notice cell vacuole, nucleus, hardly visible pyrenoids within the chloroplasts and well defined cell walls:

IMG_0013_393x600-2.jpg

Edited by Microscopy, Yesterday, 12:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics