•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter March 25th

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:29 AM

Finally starting the get the hang of my new C11 - have been able to dial in the collimation a little better. Still struggling with the stock focuser, which makes achieving critical focus a hit and miss affair ... trying to wait patiently for my focus upgrades to ship/arrive!

Seeing was fair to good, transparency has been the issue lately - from the smell of things, there has been a fire somewhere in the region smoldering away for the past couple of weeks. Both the Moon and Venus were a spectacular colour as they rose!

C11 XLT, CEM60, ASI290MC, PowerMate 2x, ZWO ADC, Astronomik UV/IR

Jupiter 2019-03-25 05-27 v1 500px drizzled.png

• Sunspot, John Boudreau, Kokatha man and 22 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:30 AM

Good to see the new scope getting well used!

#3 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

Good to see the new scope getting well used!

Thanks Foc ... I definitely intend to extract my money's worth from it!  ;)

#4 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

Very nice!

#5 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

That's how it looked the other night, except the GRS was on the other side.

#6 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

Finally starting the get the hang of my new C11 - have been able to dial in the collimation a little better. Still struggling with the stock focuser, which makes achieving critical focus a hit and miss affair ... trying to wait patiently for my focus upgrades to ship/arrive!

Seeing was fair to good, transparency has been the issue lately - from the smell of things, there has been a fire somewhere in the region smoldering away for the past couple of weeks. Both the Moon and Venus were a spectacular colour as they rose!

C11 XLT, CEM60, ASI290MC, PowerMate 2x, ZWO ADC, Astronomik UV/IR

attachicon.gif Jupiter 2019-03-25 05-27 v1 500px drizzled.png

How the heck are you getting this beautiful image?  While my Deep Sky imaging has seen good results, I cannot get beyond a black background and very washed out object when doing planetary.   Please help.    Using either a DSLR or  ASI1600pro MM or   ASI120 mm cameras.

Edited by Phillysoc, 25 March 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#7 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

Nice image, DMach!  And it's still early in the season so you have plenty of time to get used to the new scope.  

#8 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

While my Deep Sky imaging has seen good results, I cannot get beyond a black background and very washed out object when doing planetary.   Please help.    Using either a DSLR or  ASI1600pro MM or   ASI120 mm cameras.

Planetary imaging is a tricky beast, and nothing like deep sky, so when you are first starting it's expected to be frustrating.  The best thing you can do is to make a post showing some examples of what you are having trouble with and listing your current methods.  

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

Planetary imaging is a tricky beast, and nothing like deep sky, so when you are first starting it's expected to be frustrating.  The best thing you can do is to make a post showing some examples of what you are having trouble with and listing your current methods.  

Actually, i have the opposite completely, i started in 2017 with DSO imaging and keep doing, and until now all my DSO results are crap even my best one which is still nothing, while from the first time i started planetary i did get nice results, mostly i focused on the moon but i tried the planets and to my surprise i already got nice results, the only issue is that my scope isn't the best there and wanted larger for better and finer details or results, but i can't complain, so for me planetary is what made me to keep doing astro imaging and people already liked my results of planetary, and for DSO it is like i keep nightmare my head to make things getting work and have results, after all it is about what kind of setup and steps we do to make our results, many put all their money and skills towards DSO so that they have nice results while they su.. in planetary because they don't try as good as they do with DSO.

#10 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

How the heck are you getting this beautiful image?  While my Deep Sky imaging has seen good results, I cannot get beyond a black background and very washed out object when doing planetary.   Please help.    Using either a DSLR or  ASI1600pro MM or   ASI120 mm cameras.

As others have stated above, if you can provide a little more detail about your setup that would enable us to help you better.

Planetary is a different beast to DSO, the primary differences being:

• You'll be taking very short exposures (e.g. 50-100 frame per second) at the highest gain your camera will tolerate without adding too much grain/noise.

• You'll typically work at longer focal lengths, e.g. adding a barlow to your imaging train.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics