•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPC 1100 won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inc79

Inc79

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

Hi everybody.  I had originally posted under the Equipment forums but was advised to try here as well.. I apologize for any redundancy.

I'm hopeful that a relatively simple solution can be found with a bit of guidance from the knowledgeable folks on this board.  I have a CPC 1100 powered by a Celestron powertank that has worked well for me up until the other night.  When I went to turn it on recently, the little red LED on the switch did not come on, the handset remained off, and the powertank battery immediately turned off. The battery would not turn on again until I plugged it back into the wall charger, after which the battery resumed working normally (fail-safe??). Once again, I tried plugging the battery back into the scope, but the same exact thing happened. I tried using another power source (car jump starter battery) with a cigarette lighter connector, which again failed to power the scope. Considering both batteries seemed to be working well yet led to the same result has me worried that the scope itself is the problem.  This scope is a beast and shipping it back to Celestron support would be a final option.  I'd really appreciate if I could get help troubleshooting this problem. Unfortunately I don't own the AC adapter but I could buy it to help rule out the power sources. It's just that 2 batteries with 2 different cords have led nowhere so I'm skeptical. Thanks in advance!

#2 marsbase

marsbase

Vostok 1

• Loc: East PA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

Hi,

I had something similar happen to my Meade 8". I removed the cover from the bottom base and looked around for anything that looked obvious. Any plug in electronic connections I pushed in to make sure they were in all the way. I also looked to see if any loose wires were not shorting out. When I was done it worked again. Maybe you can start there.

Good Luck,

Steve

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

There is a fuse in the plugin side of power cord.  Unscrew the nose of the cigar-shaped plug and you'll see the fuse.  Check it by looking through the glass center, if the wire is burned in two you'll need to replace the fuse.  This is a safety feature so you don't blow up the more expensive stuff. 

#4 Inc79

Inc79

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:52 PM

Thank you for your responses. I actually noted that the fuse in the cigarette lighter adapter was indeed blown. Interestingly, after replacing the fuse, it immediately blew once again as soon as I tried turning on the scope. Just to be certain I replaced the fuse again, and unfortunately I ended up with the same result. Anyway, I guess I’ll have to open it up and look around for anything obvious. Seems like it’s moreso the scope and less so the power sources at this point.

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

Before tearing into the mount try another connector cord... yours could have a short in it causing the problem.  

On the CPC1100 I have the power port and switch are on the top panel far right.  The switch is a single throw with built in LED. Unfortunately that switch is a POS design. It is 4 poles, two large poles to carry the current and two small poles to light up the led. However it is a non-standard design and pathetic actual switch inside body, a simple plastic pole to push down on a sprung plate to make contact, mine popped apart and revealed it's POS nature. 

You can get a new switch from Celstron for too much money (like $15) or source one from the internet.  The power port is a simple plug-center pole design.  Both the power port and switch connect to the same PCB which distributes the power to the remainder of boards in the mount.  If you're getting a short inside I would start at this PCB board after checking the switch/power port themeselves.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics