•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Idaho residents, I need some dark sky this summer!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sidney, BC

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

My fam and I are going to be in the area of Fairfield ID this summer, and noticed that there is some very dark sky north of there a ways. Not knowing a lot about the area, I'm curious to know if any of that blotch is accessible or suitable for observation.

Anyone?

#2 petert913

petert913

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

You are going to be in a great spot for star gazing.    The mountains rise up to your north from Fairfield.  And the skies get darker.  You may want to see if there

are any state parks or recreational sites you can set up a telescope there.

#3 astronautgenius

astronautgenius

Explorer 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

My fam and I are going to be in the area of Fairfield ID this summer, and noticed that there is some very dark sky north of there a ways. Not knowing a lot about the area, I'm curious to know if any of that blotch is accessible or suitable for observation.

Anyone?

I camped just north of Stanley, ID for the solar eclipse in 2017. Skies were indeed dark! There are wide open spaces everywhere, plenty of large pull-offs on the sides of the road to set up telescopes. Dozens of campgrounds are located all along the roads in that area, if you have a few hours to spare driving around, you should be able to find something with clear views without too much trouble.

Stanley was an excellent "home base" for that type of thing, it's a nice little town with a few good restaurants and a grocery store.

#4 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

If you click on the icons on the ClearDarkSky.com map of Idaho   http://www.cleardark...l?Mn=binoculars , you'll see various Astronomy observations sites.  You're near the Central Idaho Dark Sky Reserve   http://www.idahodarksky.org/    smile.gif

Edited by DLuders, 25 March 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#5 mountain monk

mountain monk

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:34 AM

I concur. Lots of campsites around the Salmon River, good dark skies, and darn good fishing!

Dark skies.

Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics