•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CGX Pier mounting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starbob1

starbob1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: IN

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

I know most mount you have to have a pier adapter made like the Cgem' But looking at the CGX 'could one use the tripod head for the top plate mounted to a flat plate. Thanks

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:48 PM

How are you going to mount the tripod head on a flat plate? Generally pier adapters on top look just like the top of the tripod and are flat on the bottom. Whether this part will just connect to a flat pier plate or needs some kind of riser depends on whether the tripod to mount interface uses the center bolt design (most SCT and smaller tripods) or uses peripheral bolts (most bigger mounts).

There are a couple of companies who make pier adapters. Best not to reinvent the wheel as these solutions take into account both the mount weight and the potential payload.

Edited by photoracer18, 25 March 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#3 starbob1

starbob1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: IN

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

Yes I know that. I used the cgem adapter from starzonia before. But this mount juts looks different'  But I just emailed TPI and Dans pier plate. TPI cgx plate looks like what it would take. But I see people that have used the trpod head before. Thanks

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

No pier plate:

https://www.cloudyni...nto-the-ground/

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

This guy did it for an HEQ5 mount...

https://stargazerslo...-1436622550.jpg

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics