•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This book got me started in Astronomy

observing
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:43 AM

Does a late 70's Edmund Scientific catalog count?

All those great looking reflectors! The 8th grade teacher had several years worth and I started daydreaming about something better than the nearly useless 40mm KMart scope I'd gotten for the previous Christmas which lit the fire. Needless to say, after a while I finally convinced my dad to buy that "big" 4 1/4" f10 reflector with the red tube and waiting by the window to the UPS truck to arrive.

Miss those days and Sky and Tel filled with so many American made scope advertisements.

Most definitely does. waytogo.gif

#27 jerobe

jerobe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

I originally had the 1965 edition, and it got so dog eared and ragged from dew and use that I bought this one about 1978.

How many others remember and used to cherish this guide?

The 1965 edition was also my first astronomy book.  I still have it, picture attached.  The pages in the back, where the charts are, have detached, but I still open the book occasionally to reminisce.  As others have mentioned, there was a lot of information in that book.  Back in those pre-internet days, if I wanted to learn about astronomy, it was either that book, or the set of World Book encyclopedias my family had, or a trip to the library to get additional info!

Book_20190411_154416small.jpg

• desertstars and smithrrlyr like this

#28 donv

donv

Explorer 1

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:20 AM

I originally had the 1965 edition, and it got so dog eared and ragged from dew and use that I bought this one about 1978.

How many others remember and used to cherish this guide?

This! I used to check it out of our school library so many times in the 60s that it was finally given to me. I still have a copy.
  • desertstars likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics