•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI1600MM Pro with Canon DSLR Lens

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone used the ASI1600MM Pro with a Canon DSLR lens? I'll be flying to Colorado in April and I thought it would be interesting to try some Milky Way shots with it. I know ZWO sells an adapter - just looking for someone with some actual experience using it.

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

ZWO DOES sell an adapter (well 2 different ones actually, one for using with the filter wheel, and one without).  However the quality of these adapters isn't great, as they don't old the lens very rigidly and are prone to potential tilt issues.  I have heard really good things about the Geoptik Canon EF adapter though. I know that I have seen a few people that image with this camera using canon lenses, so hopefully one of them can chime in and give you better advice than I am able to.

• Jireh likes this

#3 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

ZWO DOES sell an adapter (well 2 different ones actually, one for using with the filter wheel, and one without). However the quality of these adapters isn't great, as they don't old the lens very rigidly and are prone to potential tilt issues. I have heard really good things about the Geoptik Canon EF adapter though. I know that I have seen a few people that image with this camera using canon lenses, so hopefully one of them can chime in and give you better advice than I am able to.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

#4 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:56 PM

This is the one I am going to get:

https://astromechanics.org/

It will also full focus motor control and f-stop control through ASCOM. It should be great for SGP.

• okiedrifter, darkstar3d, mistateo and 1 other like this

#5 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:10 AM

It will also full focus motor control and f-stop control through ASCOM. It should be great for SGP.

OMG, I had no idea such thing existed!

#6 Bart Declercq

Bart Declercq

Viking 1

• Loc: Haaltert, Belgium

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:00 AM

Yup, mine is underway - hoping it won't get stuck in customs too long so I can try it out soon.

#7 Rich139

Rich139

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:07 AM

Yep I use the zwo adapter with the filter wheel with my 300mm F4 L. As others have mentioned it is not of the best quality and there is some play that could equate to tilt. However, it is a simple solution to use and I find works well. Have shot a few images with it, the best being this:

get.jpg?insecure

• darkstar3d likes this

#8 bridgman

bridgman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:41 AM

I am using a ZWO 290MC with lenses from my old Spotmatic II - Pentax screw-mount lens -> Fotodiox Pentax-to-EOS adapter -> ZWO EOS to T2 adapter -> camera. The only catch was that I needed to order an additional T2-1.25" filter adapter so that I could use the 1.25" UV/IR-cut filter I ordered with the camera with the EOS adapter.

If you try to use the 1.25" nosepiece with the filter in the T2-1.25" adapter then the back of the nosepiece will hit the filter before it is all the way in - so I'll probably end up moving the filter to the front of the nosepiece when I use it - but I expect to be using T-threads rather than the nosepiece 99-100% of the time anyways.

Edited by bridgman, 27 March 2019 - 10:09 PM.

#9 rkayakr

rkayakr

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

I use the ZWO adapter with my ASI1600mm, filter wheel and Canon "nifty fifty". For a short lens it seems to work well.

• 2ghouls likes this

#10 mandarpotdar

mandarpotdar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mumbai/Pune, India

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:51 PM

I use the adapter from ZWO (https://astronomy-im...ter-efw-asi1600) with my ASI-1600mm-cool + ZWO 8-hole EFW. I have used it with Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 and Canon 18-55mm kit lens and it works well.

Note that there is a different one for use without the EFW, like when you have a color camera. See (https://astronomy-im...-eos-t2-adapter).

Examples with the 2 lenses mentioned:

https://www.cloudyni...-nebula-region/

https://www.cloudyni...way-in-h-alpha/

Edited by mandarpotdar, 28 March 2019 - 11:51 PM.

#11 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:53 AM

I have used Canon DSLR lenses with a geoptik adapter, then the ZWO adapter - and I am now the new owner of an astromechanics.org usb controller that arrived yesterday.

I did basic testing with a couple lenses - and it does indeed change the f/stop and focus via a single usb cable.  It has both an ASCOM driver and a simple serial protocol that is documented.

I haven't tested its repeatability or anything yet - but I did order it, I did receive it in Australia about 2 wks later, and it does work.

The connection appears fairly tight mechanically - but I'll need to test it.

This is something I have wanted for a long time - and it will be great to control the lens directly for focus.

In the past I have used steppers and belts - and that does work.  But this is so much cleaner.

The usb adapter is split so you can provide a separate 5v - but it appears to have enough power via the direct usb connection to drive the lens.

It appears to be threaded for 1.25" filters but I don't think it is big enough for it to be threaded for 2" filters.

It comes with a single spacer that splits into two pieces - so you can use it with or without the zwo filter wheel.  I have a slightly thicker filter wheel so I will need to see if it is adequate.  I may get the zwo one.  But I can also just screw single filters in and not use a filter wheel.

For me this is a big addition to my toolkit and should open up a lot of things to try.

Frank

#12 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

Nice unit.  But the website says discontinued. Is that adapter available?

#13 McConkey

McConkey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

....I too had no idea this existed and looks like a game changer for wider field worker with the CCD's...I'll be ordering one very shortly! Would i be correct in assuming it'll work the same way a Moonlite does in SGP? The auto focus routine will still be compatible with this?

I eagerly await your thoughts once it arrives and you have tested it out!

#14 ezwheels

ezwheels

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Scroll down the page. They have a, just announced, Mark II version that looks even better.

Edited by ezwheels, 29 March 2019 - 03:39 PM.

#15 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

I'm not sure the OP needs or will be able to get the astromechanics unit for the Colorado trip - and if not then I think the ZWO adapter should work OK.  If you are using a fast lens then it can be hard to focus it precisely with your hand because it requires very small adjustments.  But if you have a bright star in the field and you zoom in on it and view it with fairly high framerate and interactive video then you can tweak it as needed. 

The ZWO unit may get stuck a bit on the lens - but I have always been able to remove it.

And some of us use a sub-aperture mask over the front of the lens, to make it slower and reduce aberrations, especially at the edge of the field.  This works well if the focal length isn't too short - and doesn't create diffraction spikes.  If you focus with the mask off and then put the mask on, you get the benefit of critical focusing wide open - and then you stop it down.

But for people who do want the astromechanics unit - the web page is odd because some of the buttons on it seem inactive - but they do work.  The item was shipped in a package covered with Russian text and the packing was done with hand-cut foam pieces - and a metal can containing the unit.  It's all fairly bare bones - but the device itself is well made and I think it's fairly low cost for what it does.

And the change from the earlier version is a big one - since there is now no separate control box and additional wires.

It may be possible to attach the adapter to the lens multiple ways - so make sure it is attached so that the pins line up and they can make connection.

Frank

#16 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

The Mark II will start shipping in August. I will definitely be getting one.

I have used Canon DSLR lenses with a geoptik adapter, then the ZWO adapter - and I am now the new owner of an astromechanics.org usb controller that arrived yesterday.

I did basic testing with a couple lenses - and it does indeed change the f/stop and focus via a single usb cable.  It has both an ASCOM driver and a simple serial protocol that is documented.

I haven't tested its repeatability or anything yet - but I did order it, I did receive it in Australia about 2 wks later, and it does work.

This is something I have wanted for a long time - and it will be great to control the lens directly for focus.

In the past I have used steppers and belts - and that does work.  But this is so much cleaner.

The usb adapter is split so you can provide a separate 5v - but it appears to have enough power via the direct usb connection to drive the lens.

It appears to be threaded for 1.25" filters but I don't think it is big enough for it to be threaded for 2" filters.

It comes with a single spacer that splits into two pieces - so you can use it with or without the zwo filter wheel.  I have a slightly thicker filter wheel so I will need to see if it is adequate.  I may get the zwo one.  But I can also just screw single filters in and not use a filter wheel.

For me this is a big addition to my toolkit and should open up a lot of things to try.

Frank

Frank,

Have you tried it with SGP? I would love to get an autofocus solution for Canon Lens.

#17 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

The Mark II will start shipping in August. I will definitely be getting one.

Frank,

Have you tried it with SGP? I would love to get an autofocus solution for Canon Lens.

I don't use SGP for imaging but I do use it for simple interaction and testing of devices like this - and it does work with the canon focuser via ascom.  I have version 2.6.

You open the ascom driver and tell it what lens you have - and then set the f/ratio you want.  The driver can operate the f/stop also.

All I did was test that the focuser control panel did control the lens - and it worked.  You can change the f/stop while you are connected manually.  I don't know if SGP allows control of f/stop during sequencing but most people wouldn't need it.

I didn't try autofocus or anything though - but no reason it wouldn't work.

At first it seemed flakey and erratic - but that was because I had very large amount of backlash compensation set in SGP.  Once I disabled it all was fine.  And that also means backlash compensation should work - and I would plan to use it since there is some play in the motor control of the lens internally.

In my own usage I plan not to use ascom and I will just send commands to the serial port.

Oh - and I have the mark II version.  I don't know the story on when they ship but I just got it.

And note that I haven't used it in anger with an actual imaging session yet.  But the thing is real and does seem to work.

Frank

Edited by freestar8n, 29 March 2019 - 05:36 PM.

• cfosterstars and tkottary like this

#18 tkottary

tkottary

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

Wish they made some thing for Nikon lenses as well!

#19 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

I don't use SGP for imaging but I do use it for simple interaction and testing of devices like this - and it does work with the canon focuser via ascom.  I have version 2.6.

You open the ascom driver and tell it what lens you have - and then set the f/ratio you want.  The driver can operate the f/stop also.

All I did was test that the focuser control panel did control the lens - and it worked.  You can change the f/stop while you are connected manually.  I don't know if SGP allows control of f/stop during sequencing but most people wouldn't need it.

I didn't try autofocus or anything though - but no reason it wouldn't work.

At first it seemed flakey and erratic - but that was because I had very large amount of backlash compensation set in SGP.  Once I disabled it all was fine.  And that also means backlash compensation should work - and I would plan to use it since there is some play in the motor control of the lens internally.

In my own usage I plan not to use ascom and I will just send commands to the serial port.

Oh - and I have the mark II version.  I don't know the story on when they ship but I just got it.

And note that I haven't used it in anger with an actual imaging session yet.  But the thing is real and does seem to work.

Frank

Frank,

WOW that is great. I want to be able to do very wide field with a canon lens riding on my OTAs while doing deep sky with my OTAs. I used to get SGP to do dual session, but that stopped working for some reason. 

#20 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

Frank,

WOW that is great. I want to be able to do very wide field with a canon lens riding on my OTAs while doing deep sky with my OTAs. I used to get SGP to do dual session, but that stopped working for some reason. 

Just tested Sigma 15mm f/2.8 with Canon mount - and it also works.

Yes - this is a big deal for me.  I don't know how people figured out how the interface works, but if this was possible to do it should have been done long ago.

Oh - and it is machined, anodized aluminum and not 3d printed or something.

One other detail - for some lenses the outer focusing ring does not move when you focus internally - and you may think it isn't working.  But you can hear it and feel it - and if there is a separate little window to read the focus value, like on my 135 f/2, then you can see it changing there.  And you can tell the f/stop is changing just by looking in - and you can hear it.

Frank

#21 ezwheels

ezwheels

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

Frank

Frank,

Did you get the 26.5mm or 17mm version?

#22 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

Frank,

Did you get the 26.5mm or 17mm version?

I think with mark ii there is no option to choose because it works for both.  The adapter consists of the electronic piece and an additional spacer that attaches to it.  So it can work with ZWO cameras with and without the filter wheel.

The main unit looks to be 17mm and the other is about 9.5mm - so you get all combos.  And you then use, or remove, the other spacer that comes with the zwo camera.  They seem to fit together well - but you need to turn pretty hard to attach it to the lens.  Which is ok with me.

The web page and manuals don't show the exact current version.  Mine is black with bare metal at the interface and no red anodization.

I'll aim to post a picture in a bit.

Frank

Edited by freestar8n, 29 March 2019 - 07:11 PM.

• ezwheels likes this

#23 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

Here's what it looks like:

CanonAssembled.jpg

CanonDisassembled.jpg

You may notice a bit of anodization removed from the adapter piece.  At this price I don't care at all.  Actually in general I am not bothered by such cosmetic things as long as it works well.  But I am aware other people care.

Frank

#24 Palomar

Palomar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

Hi guys! Let's go!

General info:

ASCOM Canon Lens Controller Mark II is a fully integrated solution without external units and any extra wires. PCB with all electronic components have been installed directly in the adapter. It turned out not so easy to place all the electronics inside the adapter, but we did it.smile.gif

Now 26.5 mm adapter is a combination of 17 mm base adapter and 9.5 mm spacer. This design will be much more versatile.

• 17 mm adapter is ideal for monochrome camera (ASI1600MM for example) with filter wheel. 17 mm (ASCOM Canon Lens Controller) + 20 mm (ZWO EFW) + 6.5 mm (ZWO cooled camera) = 43.5 mm.
  • 26.5 mm adapter is suitable for color camera (ASI294MC for example). 26.5 mm (ASCOM Canon Lens Controller) + 11mm (T2 ring) + 6.5 mm (ZWO cooled camera) = 44 mm.

17 mm base adapter has no filter mount (designed for use with the filter wheel). 9.5 mm spacer has M28.5x0.6 thread for mounting 1.25" filters.
Moreover, the bayonet is made of metal. No plastic parts. This ensures a reliable lens mount.

This is our default range. But we are ready to design the custom adapter for your requirements and according to your drawings with any mount type (thread, flange) and without any additional spacers to achieve more rigidity.

SGP (via ASCOM):

Quote from PM with one of the CN users:

The Sigma 135mm f1.8 is now working during the daytime on a distant mountain.  I'm able to control focus with the ASCOM driver accessed via SGP!  I should be able to test at night in a few days with better weather.

TheSkyX:

Many thanks Rodolphe Pineau for creating X2 focuser plugin for TheSkyX. It supports OS X, Windows, RPI-3, Linux Ubuntu.

You can find it here: https://rti-zone.org...ser_plugins.php

INDI drivers:

Quote from our mail:

Do you plan to implement INDI drivers as well?

Yes, we plan to implement INDI drivers for our products (summer 2019 for ASCOM Canon Lens Controller).

Nikon adapters:

Quote from our mail:

I plan to use such a system with my Canon 200 mm f/2.8 lens and a 50 mm
f/1.8 lens - using a Nikon-Canon adapter, it should be possible to use
Nikon lenses as well, correct?

Canon 200 mm f/2.8 lens and a 50 mm f/1.8 lens is a part of our test setup. This lenses work perfect with ASCOM Canon Lens Controller (both focus anf iris). Unfortunately, Nikon lenses will not work. Nikon has its own command protocol. Nikon-Canon adapters are only mechanical adapters, without converting the command protocol. You can install a Nikon lens on a Canon camera, but the autofocus and aperture control functions will not work.

USB wire & current consumption:

Сurrent consumption didn't exceed 0.28A when testing my lenses (200 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8, 18-55). I think USB cable with double USB-A connector should provide sufficient power, especially from USB 3.0 port. Moreover, the second connector can be connected to a separate power supply.

Availability:

A new batch of Mark II controllers (M42x0.75 mm for APS-C cameras) will be available after 08.04.2019.

Our web page and our plans:

The web page and manuals don't show the exact current version.  Mine is black with bare metal at the interface and no red anodization.

I apologize, in the near future (April-May 2019), the information on the project page will be completely updated. This is due to the constant improvement of the product recently. Now we get feedback from our users and make small changes. We also develop full frame adapters for QHY247/367, ASI094, SBIG STL11000. I hope we can present them in May 2019.

Dear Frank, thank you for testing our product! Could you put a list of all tested lenses? Now we are collecting information from our users and then publish it on the project page. This is very important for us.

the web page is odd because some of the buttons on it seem inactive - but they do work.  The item was shipped in a package covered with Russian text and the packing was done with hand-cut foam pieces - and a metal can containing the unit.  It's all fairly bare bones - but the device itself is well made and I think it's fairly low cost for what it does.

You may notice a bit of anodization removed from the adapter piece.  At this price I don't care at all.  Actually in general I am not bothered by such cosmetic things as long as it works well.  But I am aware other people care.

This means we have something to work on and we will try to improve our product. Thanks for your review!

Dear CN users, you can see below some photos of actual version of ASCOM Canon Lens Controller Mark II.

Best regards, Sergey.

MarkII-6.jpg

MarkII-1.jpg

MarkII-5.jpg

MarkII-2.jpg

MarkII-3.jpg

MarkII-4.jpg

MarkII-7.jpg

• darkstar3d, Jon Rista, tkottary and 1 other like this

#25 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

I just ordered one as well!  With the 1.25" filter threads on the 9.5" spacer, I can use this for my 1600MM as well as my 294MC, or slap my EFW onto it!!

- Ara

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics