•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI1600MM Pro with Canon DSLR Lens

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 Florent.

Florent.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pithiviers-le-Vieil, France

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:18 AM

Hi-

I have a separate thread with results using the filter wheel here:

https://www.cloudyni...s-ha/?hl= canon

It is very snug - in a good way - and makes a tight connection to the lens.  At least in my version.  The 135 f/2 images I show are wide open and the field looks good across the 1600 sensor.  I also show images with 15mm lens - that are not as good across the field.  But I think the connection is very solid.

Frank

Thank you Frank. Very interesting.

Florent

#52 Jireh

Jireh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

Hi Sergey and welcome to CN.

For the OP - I hope it's ok we are talking about this controller and not simply an adapter.  

Sergey you asked about what lenses it works with - and it works with all that I have tested:

17-40 f/4, 135 f/2, 300 f/4 IS, and Sigma 15mm f/2.8

All were listed in your lens.txt file.

All lenses seem to work fine without a separate 5V power supply.

The IS lens showed no sign of IS activity - which is fine and I didn't expect IS to work.  I think that if you put such a lens on a tripod it is recommended to turn it off anyway.

Control of the zoom would be useful for certain things if it is possible - but no big deal.  Woops - not awake yet.  The zoom isn't even motorized.  Never mind.

All in all it seems to work fine and has a solid attachment.  I can also use it with Kenko extension spacers - which isn't a surprise since it is just passing the signal through.

I went ahead and ordered a thin ZWO filter wheel for it.

One thing to test would be to see if the USB hub in the ZWO cameras can control the lens.  I assume it should work ok - and that would mean one cable to the camera and a separate short cable to the lens.  I have an old 1600 with no hub inside so I can't test.

Thanks for providing this device - it looks like a powerful addition.

Frank

Absolutely! I'm just catching up and reading this thread and your other thread and getting ready to order the controller! Thanks for all of the great info!

#53 ifxbonz

ifxbonz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

Yes - ASI1600mm with Samyang 135mm f/2.0 (canon EF mount), ZWO EFW mini & Baader 1.25" SHO&Lum filters.

Hi I'm new to cloudy nights and astrophotography I was wondering how did you attach a footplate to the astromechanic canon lens adapter. What is that mounting system in the image here?

sml_gallery_265217_9756_258248.jpg

Andy

Edited by ifxbonz, 09 July 2019 - 01:01 PM.

#54 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

The entire ring/rail system you see in that picture was purchased online from a french website named astrokraken. It's a singular 3d printed piece specifically designed to be used with the samyang 135mm f2.0.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics