•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good quality digital USB microscope?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:57 AM

I am looking for a decent quality digital microscope with USB connection, to use with my laptop or MS Surface.

WiFi might be nice but, not if it is "sketchy" or fussy.   This will be for hobby work (coins, bugs, etc).  I would also use it at work, inspecting pc boards.

There are many on the market offering ridiculous mags .. 1000X+.  This can be misleading.  Often the optical magnification is modest and the rest is just a scaling up in the digital domain.  

We bought one for work a year ago but it crapped out.  

I was wondering if there are any good models out there?

#2 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:36 AM

I bought this one a while back. Pretty decent. But nothing to compare it to being I haven't had a microscope since my little cheapy when I was a little kid. :)

But I use it for the basic things you speak of, nothing major, and does a good job.

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-4

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

While we're at it... anyone know of a small camera... especially a small ~good~ camera that can snap pictures through a microscope or telescope eyepiece? My problem is that there seem to be plenty out there, but generally very small sensor and cheap. I'm wondering if there are better ones (more field and addressable features) that are also available.

What I just described would be afocal use (through the eyepiece) Even better would be something that performs well in place of the eyepiece, and still has a not too tiny array.

I guess I'm too lazy to research it myself... that would be the next step.    Thanks!

Opinions appreciated. My 1st casual search generates stuff like this >>>

https://microscopece...AiABEgJFy_D_BwE

Tom

#4 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:12 AM

I was just looking at these recently and trying to find a reason to purchase one... smile.gif

Vixen microscope. 60x magnification. 2MP sensor. PC-230 21261-3

Edited by siriusandthepup, 27 March 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#5 robodan

robodan

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:02 AM

https://www.amazon.c...sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Looking at this

#6 albln

albln

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

I have the same one, bought like a month ago. I am happy with it although this is my first microscope, so I don’t have a point of reference. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics