•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

XT8 test night

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco2

Bonco2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Finally had some steady skies, so I tested my new XT8 on some doubles in Orion. Clearly viewed all 6 stars in the trapezium. Nice view of 4 members of Sigma.

Alnitak,  Rigel,  and Eta  were easy and clear beautiful splits. Pretty happy with the XT8's performance.

Bill

• CollinofAlabama, tomwall, Pinbout and 2 others like this

#2 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: Mid-West Coast, Michigan

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

Nice!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the XT dobs. An XT8 was my first "large" scope.

• Bonco2 likes this

#3 tommy10

tommy10

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:21 PM

I have an XT 8, great scope , easy to use , resolves Jupiter down to the white ovals, you would have to spend thousands more to get a significantly better scope, enjoy the planets this summer.

Edited by tommy10, 27 March 2019 - 11:22 PM.

• Pinbout and Bonco2 like this

#4 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:09 AM

Nice! I used to have an XT10 back in the day (in the 2000, right before high school). Now my daughter’s XT6 is the scope I use the most...
  • CollinofAlabama likes this

#5 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

I love to tease out the e and f stars but seeing usually STINKS where I observe. Least mag I bagged e and f was 75x and 62x for just e. What mags were u using and where do you observe?

Clear skies

Itz

#6 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

I routinely get the e and f stars at 92x (13mm Nagler), this scope is very comparable to my ED120, the price boggles my mind...

#7 N3p

N3p

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:07 AM

Finally had some steady skies, so I tested my new XT8 on some doubles in Orion. Clearly viewed all 6 stars in the trapezium. Nice view of 4 members of Sigma.

Alnitak,  Rigel,  and Eta  were easy and clear beautiful splits. Pretty happy with the XT8's performance.

Bill

Good choice, after 3.x years I still think my 8" Newtonian delivers an impressive amount of things to look at. XT8, not too expensive, not too heavy, not to long and bulky.

The beginning of a nice journey for you.

#8 Bonco2

Bonco2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

I sold my Z10 and bought the XT8, thus I've been doing several tests. So far its met my expectations and is so much easier to transport. I must say tho the Z10 had equally good optics. It was just too heavy for me.
Bill

#9 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:56 PM

Bill, I tend to agree. I can handle a 10”, but just don’t enjoy the huffing and puffing. Do-able, but adding an unpleasant workhorse experience to an otherwise peaceful night under the stars, and the tear down’s even more unpleasant, often done at the coldest point of the evening.

I can handle a 10”, but it’s just not worth it for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll gladly take a nice long gaze thru your 12” scope, I just don’t want to own such a beast myself. This hobby’s fun and artistic for me. An 8” dob provides plenty of punch, can still get by without a coma corrector, is less demanding about collimation, and is just plain easier to set up and tear down. Don’t blame you at all, Bill. I’m with you!
  • Bonco2 and N3p like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics