•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why is the Flame Nebula in Orion's Belt orange (not red)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:51 PM

The Flame Nebula near Alnitak is a distinct orange-gold color, not even close to the same deep red of hydrogen alpha emission of the nearby IC 434. 

Is this dramatic difference in color due to a different emission spectrum and gas composition? Or is it colored by intervening dust? Or what?

#2 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:14 AM

Its only been shades of gray when Ive seen it.

...Ralph

• Jon Isaacs, CounterWeight and Cirus like this

#3 Juicy6

Juicy6

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:10 AM

Maybe light from nearby blue giant Alnitak combined with own red Ha light gives orange?

Christer, Sweden

#4 Araguaia

Araguaia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:39 AM

I see the Flame as a rich amber color, and IC 434 as the faintest dark red in the sky.  Nearby NGC 2023 is paler than the Flame, more like off-white, although it is difficult to make out the hue with its central star washing it out.

I love looking at that region of the sky at low power precisely because of the juxtaposed hues on the different nebulas.

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

The Flame Nebula near Alnitak is a distinct orange-gold color, not even close to the same deep red of hydrogen alpha emission of the nearby IC 434. 

Is this dramatic difference in color due to a different emission spectrum and gas composition? Or is it colored by intervening dust? Or what?

IC434 is a pretty pure Ha emitting source.  The Flame combines Ha with reflection from dust.  I can't think of another way to get orange, what would be the emission line, and how on Earth <grin>  would it be strong enough?

The color thing becomes really interesting with imaging.  Assume the camera passes Ha well, ie no unmodded DSLRs.  LRGB images still tend to overemphasize the reflection component of the Flame.  Sometimes people make the Flame white, and (I think inevitably) portray IC434 as orange.  I don't think that's correct, although it has some charm.

You can see a wide range of interpretations in this thread.  Or on astrobin or with Google images.

https://www.cloudyni...rsehead-nebula/

What I admire is people who capture varying shades of color in the Flame.  Using HaRGB, I couldn't do that, it's a pretty uniform orange.

https://www.astrobin...4117/G/?nc=user

A great example of how the colors we portray are simply various interpretations of the data.

Edited by bobzeq25, 30 March 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#6 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Hubble

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:24 AM

My theory. The Flame is a highly excited nebula, in the mode of M42. Such nebulae have additional blue-green emission from oxygen. This makes for a more pink-magenta hue in many images, compared to deeper red for such less-excited specimens as IC 434. But in the case of the Flame there is considerable reddening by intervening dust, which de-bluing tends toward an orange-red hue.

There are loads of other examples all over the sky. If one has either the long-extinct Desktop Universe software, or the newer Starry Night Pro Plus (which uses the same all-sky photo mosaic), a visual scan will differentiate the pinkish, less-obscured nebulae from the more orange-ish, notably attenuated nebulae. Again, for the more highly excited examples; the more "pure red", low surface brightness and low-excitation nebulae exhibit far subtler color shift with reddening.

I mentioned DTU and SNPP software mainly because of the very uniform treatment of the images in putting together the final mosaic, which makes possible a sky-wide nebula color comparison. Other carefully treated, *visual* emphasis color surveys/mosaics should serve similarly.

• llanitedave likes this

#7 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:15 AM

There may also be just a little H-Beta emission in the Flame, so that, coupled with nebular scattered light and dust in the nebula, might shift the color just a hair to more of an orangish hue.  I do recall in my 14 inch one night using my 14mm ES100 eyepiece (135x, 44.7' arc TFOV) and my Lumicon H-Beta filter being able to just see both the Horsehead and much of the Flame at the same time in the field.  Clear skies to you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics