•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Great Dark Sky Site

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 KidOrion

KidOrion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

Best observing sites will be just about anywhere. The weather will be 40s high most of the time and 20s lows most of the time, but the lows could be very low (in the negatives F) and the wind may be terrible at any time (or most any time). Precip won't usually be much (still in the rain shadow) but may be snow if it comes and will almost certainly be snow if at night.

I think those are the worst two months at this location - I'd go somewhere else if possible.

Hmmm... good to know.

Seeing as that's the darkest area within a day's drive, I'd still kinda like to use it if possible. Would going in early December make any difference?  I'm pretty flexible time-wise.

The goal is to catch the remaining Herschel objects of winter; I've got stuff in Auriga, Gemini, Canis Major, and Puppis to observe, and the weather here in western Oregon is usually crap Dec-March. I suppose I could find somewhere in SE Oregon, but I'm not sure conditions there would be any better.

#27 jaraxx

jaraxx

Mariner 2

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, I used to live across the Sound from Seattle. Winter is pretty tough on the West Coast. So, if it were me, I'd watch the weather pretty close and try to pick my time.

#28 Philler

Philler

Apollo

• Loc: Olathe, Ks. USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:42 PM

Here is a good news story for ametuer astronomers. There is a great dark sky site in North Western Nevada, and that is going to be named a Dark Sky Sanctuary. There are numerous dark sky sites throughout Nevada, but this one might be closer to a bunch of people, and people who might be traveling in the West.

https://www.rgj.com/...ion/3315988002/

I might just add this area to my list of potential dark sky destinations. It would be a long trip from the KC area, but it would be on I-29 then I-80 most of the way, about a two and half day tip.  I could also travel to the Sacramento area and see my sister.   Every IDA area I have used I have not been disappointed. This area sounds like it's worth the trip.  I'll have to check into it further and get as much info as possible such as lodging and best places to use my scope.   Thanks Gene.

Edited by Philler, 12 July 2019 - 11:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics