•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Long Leadtime for the Celestron 8" RASA

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Omorali

Omorali

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

I have had the 8" RASA on order since 02/25/19 and it is yet to ship.

Although I have been receiving the regular email apologies from the dealer, I have to wonder if this is normal.

Has anyone that have received theirs had to wait this long?

This is quite a reputable dealer that has delivered every other item I ordered for use with this tube.

Many thanks and clear skies!

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

I realize this is a little different but here goes: In Sept.1987 I was ready to order an Astrophysics 7" Starfire. I was instead talked into purchasing a Meade 2120 10" LX5. I paid my money. I finally received the Telescope, and I use that term loosely as you will soon understand, in the middle of APRIL 1988. Yes, you read that right. I understand this was during the bad Haley days but I totally understand your frustration.

And the "telescope" in question had maybe, maybe 1/2 wave optics, probably closer to 1 wave. Not only did I wait 7 months but I received the worst telescope I had ever looked through. Sure, it looked great, it even tracked great, was even half decent on deep-sky objects. But planetary. The opposition of Mars in Oct. 1988. A 3 inch refractor showed more detail on Mars!

I really hope that you don't have to go through what I did. Most likely, Celestron won't make you wait as long as Meade made me wait. And chances are, you will probably get a better product than I did. To this day I have never forgiven Meade...and if they want to change my mind about my opinion of them...well, only Meade can make that happen.

I will never buy another Meade product...ever! Sorry, But they really disappointed me and never made it right.

I wish you luck!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#3 Omorali

Omorali

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

I am quite sorry you had that experience!

FYI; I moved away from Meade's products a long time ago.

Thank you for the input nonetheless.

Edited by Omorali, 01 April 2019 - 07:48 AM.

#4 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:58 PM

Meister Tiger man,

Sounds as if you should have just waited for the Astro-Physics scope.  Their lead time is ridiculous and the prices absolutely astronomical (no pun intended), but the quality is absolute perfection. I have NEVER heard anyone that was less than astounded at the quality of Rolands optics.

Ron Abbott

#5 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

I called around and bought mine from a dealer who had one in stock that same day, March 15. Might call around to see who has one in stock.

Edited by APshooter, 16 April 2019 - 07:54 PM.

#6 Omorali

Omorali

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

I called around and bought mine from a dealer who had one in stock that same day, March 15. Might call around to see who has one in stock.

Many thanks.

Since I ordered from Nigeria, PayPal had to charge my account upfront.

Still waiting...

#7 Omorali

Omorali

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Meister Tiger man,

Sounds as if you should have just waited for the Astro-Physics scope.  Their lead time is ridiculous and the prices absolutely astronomical (no pun intended), but the quality is absolute perfection. I have NEVER heard anyone that was less than astounded at the quality of Rolands optics.

Ron Abbott

I agree.

Thank you .

#8 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:38 AM

Moving this topic to Cats & Casses for a better fit.

#9 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

One lucky fellow won an 8-inch RASA in the NEAIC raffle earlier this month!  ….and walked away with the box.

Maybe HIgh Point still has the display model from NEAF? They bought out the complete Celestron, Meade and SkyWatcher displays.

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

A 3 inch refractor showed more detail on Mars!

I wish you luck!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

FEAR THE THREE INCH REFRACTOR

#11 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

Meister Tiger man,

Ron Abbott

Mmm maybe not enough time with the Tak-a-holics is the reason you have not heard of anyone who is less than astounded.

AP is top of the line though.  I have one.  

He is talking about ordering back in 1987.  In those days the wait time was minimal.  THE LIST had not come into being.  Roland has learned quite a bit since 1987.  It is not an injustice to say that today's out put is higher quality than his 1980s products.

On the other hand...a Meade....that was a poor choice, like trading your Apple stock for a typewriter company's shares in 1979.  

Greg N

• SandyHouTex likes this

#12 Gleason

Gleason

Vostok 1

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

The RASA 8 is small and easy to manager, has a very attractive price and can do quite good work compared to may in the short FL class, therefore the stock sold out rather quickly.  I would like to get one myself for giggles and schmidts. 

Not without its nuances however. Collimation and ccd tip-tilt are going to be a challenge to manage.   

#13 APshooter

APshooter

Soyuz

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

I have had no issues with collimation on my sample.  CCD tilt/tip are possible in the camera side of things.  I got lucky and got a very square sensor.

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics